Heat Shield Hex Bolt

FalconR3CT

.020 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here has experienced the following issue.

I received a new set of TOR's for my 2007 Rocket Classic Tourer and started the teardown process to install them. I didn't get far as the right side heat shield hex bolt, top of heat shield near exhaust header, is frozen and the hex stripped out trying to remove it.

I have a set of easy outs and the smaller drill bit snapped while trying to drill the bolt for the LH easy out. I have tried using Seafoam Deep Creep and another easy out to grab the bolt head and it just wont come budge.

I have searched the forums and see no one else has posted an issue like this but have read about loosening hex bolt on the shield. Makes me wonder if the previous owner used a thread locker on the bolt and put it back in.

Any thoughts or recommendations on removing the bolt without destroying the receiving nut in the header?

Thanks.

ps, also looking for a tune to install using TuneECU for the TOR's with a drop in K&N filter for when I finally get things sorted.

Thanks.

just looked at mine
you should be able to take a center punch and with a small hammer at first tap it light 1/2 way from the center to outside edge after you get a hole (dent) then angle you punch so as to spin the bolt to the left.
i just checked mine and they seemed to be loose w/o lock tite. i have taken a 4 mm allen wrench and cut off about 5/8 inch then use that with a 1/4 ratchet and a 4 mm socket. it makes it easy to control.

I would agree with TURBO200R4, I would use a cold chisel of the appropriate size and gently put a "slot" from the center towards the outside edge. When you get a fairly deep slot, angle the chisel about 45 degrees so as to loosen the bolt. It should be easy to get a good purchase point as the bolts are pretty soft,(thus the stripped hex), it should come out fairly easy. Same idea as TURBO, just a little more surface area.
Hope this helps.

In the event that the above fails you can use an appropriately sized left hand twist drill bit. Drill the center of the bolt. As you remove material from the center of the bolt the heat and stress relief will allow the bolt to start backing out. I have used this method on frozen head bolts that had been in place for 30 years...works every time. Just dont drill out the side of the bolt

In the event that the above fails you can use an appropriately sized left hand twist drill bit. Drill the center of the bolt. As you remove material from the center of the bolt the heat and stress relief will allow the bolt to start backing out. I have used this method on frozen head bolts that had been in place for 30 years...works every time. Just dont drill out the side of the bolt
I got it out. Finally.

I used a small butane micro-torch to heat the bolt for a few minutes to dissolve/melt the Loctite. I then used a #4 SpeedOut, from Home Depot, in the stripped head and it gripped slowly eased out. You can clearly see the bolt was covered in blue Loctite. Note to all, use the proper Loctite to secure your bolts and a little goes a long way.

Now the fun. :) Installation of the TORs. ;):):)

Last edited:
I got it out. Finally.

I used a small butane micro-torch to heat the bolt for a few minutes to dissolve/melt the Loctite. I then used a #4 SpeedOut, from Home Depot, in the stripped head and it gripped slowly eased out. You can clearly see the bolt was covered in blue Loctite. Note to all, use the proper Loctite to secure your bolts and a little goes a long way.

Now the fun. :) Installation of the TORs. ;):):)
Got the TOR's installed and I love the sound. :cool:
Now to find a tune for the TORS with a drop in K&N filter. Ramair on order so I redo the tune after that gets installed.

Thanks all for the pointers.

Blue was probably the right type, I use blue on mine. Must have been a combo of soft bolt, too much blue and tighening it too hard, perhaps.

Always a good idea to smear a bit of grease on the threads of all the nuts and bolts .. they do strip and round off quite easily.

Horrible design :( without the locktite they fall out, with it the heads strip easily. Once you learn to work with them, it's all good; but it's a painful learning curve ;)

Back