Heat shield for starter click

R3T-Too

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Rocket III Touring
What is the diameter for the crossover pipe on the Touring?

I'm going to try to install a heat shield to prevent heat soak of the starter.
Yes, I'm aware of the multitude of tips to address the hot click and have tried just about everything.
The only time I get a click now is when it's very hot here in TX. The other day I felt the starter and it was MUCH hotter than the sump.

I'm thinking that the new 1.4kw starter is longer and nearer to the crossover. And I've wrapped my headers, and added heat tape to the side covers to make for a more comfortable ride.
I think I've moved too much heat too close to the starter.

What is the diameter for the crossover pipe on the Touring?

I'm going to try to install a heat shield to prevent heat soak of the starter.
Yes, I'm aware of the multitude of tips to address the hot click and have tried just about everything.
The only time I get a click now is when it's very hot here in TX. The other day I felt the starter and it was MUCH hotter than the sump.

I'm thinking that the new 1.4kw starter is longer and nearer to the crossover. And I've wrapped my headers, and added heat tape to the side covers to make for a more comfortable ride.
I think I've moved too much heat too close to the starter.

When I ran a built 460 in my Ford E250 the headers were very close to the starter, about an inch, I used a starter heat blanket to wrap the starter and never had any heat related issues with my starter. It may be an option, I don't have my bike close by to see if I could wrap it with one. https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/heatshield-products?N=4294869171

bob

When I ran a built 460 in my Ford E250 the headers were very close to the starter, about an inch, I used a starter heat blanket to wrap the starter and never had any heat related issues with my starter. It may be an option, I don't have my bike close by to see if I could wrap it with one. https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/heatshield-products?N=4294869171

bob

Starter blankets and shields on built autos are where I'm getting my inspiration.
I'm a bit worried that a blanket won't allow the heat to dissipate if it does build up.

Starter blankets and shields on built autos are where I'm getting my inspiration.
I'm a bit worried that a blanket won't allow the heat to dissipate if it does build up.

It would have to be turning to build up any real heat and that isn't happening. It sounds like it is getting heat soaked from being too close to the cross over while the bike is running and if it doesn't sit long enough to cool off you get the click. of course, I could be wrong. Does it click just after riding and then trying to restart soon after?

If so I think a heat blanket would probably work fine.

bob

It would have to be turning to build up any real heat and that isn't happening. It sounds like it is getting heat soaked from being too close to the cross over while the bike is running and if it doesn't sit long enough to cool off you get the click. of course, I could be wrong. Does it click just after riding and then trying to restart soon after?

If so I think a heat blanket would probably work fine.

bob

Yep. That's what I'm thinking.

It ALWAYS starts when the bike has had time to cool.

The blankets that I see only wrap around the sides of the starter; leaving the end un-protected. The end of the starter is nearest the pipe.
Folding one up and over instead of around might work, but you would need to attach it so that it would stay on & not get torn up by the wind.

For now; I'm still thinking the shield is a better option.

a volt meter
they also make a starter meter to measure the amps it draws.
u also could put a wire direct to the solenoid and the next time it failed touch it to the positive side terminal.(do not hold it down with your finger/make sure it is in neutral because u r bypassing all the safetys )this way u do not have to have the ing on it should turn over motor.

Alright, I borrowed a pair of calipers and laid down in the parking lot to measure the crossover. Looks like it's 1.5" diameter.
Noticed there's a brace located in a bad position to use a generic heat shield. I'd have to cut a slot to get one positioned correctly.

Next plan is to get a couple of stainless hose clamps, a bit of sheet metal and fashion a "custom" shield.

a volt meter
they also make a starter meter to measure the amps it draws.
u also could put a wire direct to the solenoid and the next time it failed touch it to the positive side terminal.(do not hold it down with your finger/make sure it is in neutral because u r bypassing all the safetys )this way u do not have to have the ing on it should turn over motor.

I've measured voltage drop at the battery when I hit the starter. Got numbers that were a little lower than I liked. Bought a new battery (old one was a few years old anyway). Got/get good numbers now.
All the connections are tight, relay is good, solenoid has clean contacts...extra ground cable...etc.

Bike has been doing great until we started hitting triple digits here.

The blankets that I see only wrap around the sides of the starter; leaving the end un-protected. The end of the starter is nearest the pipe.
Folding one up and over instead of around might work, but you would need to attach it so that it would stay on & not get torn up by the wind.

Two blankets, one end to end to cover the end of the starter and one to wrap around that one and the starter. Use some metal hose clamps or metal zip ties to secure the whole thing and you should be good to go. Might be easier than fabing up a shield but probably a little more spendy.

bob

Back