Headlamp Mod - Single Relay

Battersea

Turbocharged
Mainly for UK members that might suffer from the high import costs of getting hold of an EB kit or those that may be put off with the complexity of a twin-relay mod, this topic details what is involved in fitting a single-relay version.

There are arguments for and against both systems that have been previously discussed in other topics on here so I don't think it necessary to repeat them.

All of the items used were bought from Vehicle Wiring Products (www.vehicleproducts.co.uk).

Item List:
1mtr of each - BROWN, BLUE & BLACK 16.5amp PVC Thinwall Cable - Ref.16 @ £0.32p per mtr
2 x In-Line Slice - Ref. RHS @ £0.44p ea.
2 x 6.4mm Ring Terminal - Ref. RR6H @ £0.42p ea.
1 x 30amp 4 Blade Fused Relay - Ref. R30F @ £7.25p
1 x Relay Socket incl Terminals - Ref. RS @ £2.16p
1 x 20amp Blade Fuse - Ref. FB20 @ £0.15p (this to replace the 30amp fuse that comes with the relay)

Items already had:
Cable Sleeving
Shrink Tube
Adhesive PVC Tape

The simple sub-loom before fitting: Replace the 30amp Relay fuse with the 20amp.

Remove seat, l/h side cover and battery terminals:

Detach Starter and Indicator relays (removing both relays makes for easier access).
Cut the plain BLUE cable. I peeled back the sleeving a few mm to expose more of the cable and then cut midway.

Mount the relay behind the battery low enough to have clearance for the tool tray. Feed the wires through to meet the Starter Relay.

Splice the BLUE wires - the wire end nearest the Starter relay must be spliced to the wire going to terminal 86 on the fused relay (see diagram).

Terminals on fused relay:
Brown (positive) wire from battery to 30
Black (negative) wire from battery to 85
Blue wire 'Starter relay end' to 86
Blue wire 'going back into loom' to 87

Wiring diagram:

:D

Had my cousin over from oz in August, she reckons' most things in England are cheaper. Obviously not stuff imported from the States though. :eek:

Curious, you say that and I know Oz WA is exy but salaries arn't so bad here.

Just checked Au$1.00 = 0.65650p
So EB Duel H/L Kit is approx AU$ 60.00 = Stirling 38.00. ( no duty or postage)

Would you consider that expensive in the UK today ?

Oz Salary for Bus driver about Sterling 675.00/wk average
I have been away for 35 years now so I don't know what earnings are in UK now.

Just curious, :D

WOW! My single EB kit was about $51.00 delivered. How much more could it cost there to make building your own loom practical?

Curious, you say that and I know Oz WA is exy but salaries arn't so bad here.

Just checked Au$1.00 = 0.65650p
So EB Duel H/L Kit is approx AU$ 60.00 = Stirling 38.00. ( no duty or postage)

Would you consider that expensive in the UK today ?

Oz Salary for Bus driver about Sterling 675.00/wk average
I have been away for 35 years now so I don't know what earnings are in UK now.

Just curious, :D

Read this topic - http://www.r3owners.net/general-tech-talk/11383-here-comes-beaver-2.html post #14. To be fair his order did include a PC8.

I have bought quite a lot of stuff from the States for the restoration of my 1969 BSA Rocket 3 and the end cost is always surprising. Last thing I bought had a dollar price of $130, by the time I paid all duties etc it came out at £156. That was when the exchange rate was 1.62 dollars to the pound.

Read this topic - http://www.r3owners.net/general-tech-talk/11383-here-comes-beaver-2.html post #14. To be fair his order did include a PC8.

I have bought quite a lot of stuff from the States for the restoration of my 1969 BSA Rocket 3 and the end cost is always surprising. Last thing I bought had a dollar price of $130, by the time I paid all duties etc it came out at £156. That was when the exchange rate was 1.62 dollars to the pound.

I guess I should check the site again, but from what I remember the company is in Japan. The part is made and shipped from Japan. The company just used "Eastern Beaver" as a name. I could be wrong, but i don't think so. That should make a difference in the exchange rate, Etc. right?

Yes the company is in Japan. I checked it. Here's a link to the guys company info site. Interesting read.

Company

I will be in Japan in March next year, I mentioned this to Jim at EB and said I will visit him if I have time to go to Nagano, should be interesting to meet him, I think he is Canadian..

Back