Heading out for test drive

cadconversions

Sr. Pastor, iLive Church
Ride
2012 R3R
Heading out in a few minutes to test drive the Roadster and the Touring to see which I prefer... Not quite ready to plunk down the money yet but pretty close.

I've been eyeing the rocket for years but just recently got back on 2 wheels with a Yamaha FZ1 and wanted to build some miles in the seat before moving into the Rocket.

The dealer told me if I road the Roadster first I would hate the touring "lack of power" but if I road the touring first I would like the power. Mostly using the bike as a second vehicle for commuting to work when my wife isn't with me. We both work together in the same place and only need to ride when I'm either staying late or she's staying home. It's about a 60 mile commute one way and nothing's more fun than riding the bike to work.

If I go with the Roadster, I'll add a windshield, and dresser bars... Touring - I'll add nothing... Wife will NOT ride with me but my 4 year old son will eventually ride with me.

Just wanted to introduce myself - been lurking reading the threads for a while and figured it was time to introduce myself. Thanks for the great threads and your advice!

Welcome from TX.. My wife is from Alvaton, KY.. lol She went to high school in Scottsville..

A Rocket is a Rocket. The Touring can be opened up to match the power with a few mods if you gotta have more. Mostly it will be personal preference. Your son, or any other passenger, will hate the stock passenger pad on the Roadster after only a few miles. I have a 2-up seat that I swap out if I intend on carrying a passenger.

The Rocket is perfect for that commute though. I commute about 75 miles a day on my Rocket and I get spoiled to it's power in managing traffic. When I have to use my van or truck, it stinks!

Welcome from TX.. My wife is from Alvaton, KY.. lol She went to high school in Scottsville..

A Rocket is a Rocket. The Touring can be opened up to match the power with a few mods if you gotta have more. Mostly it will be personal preference. Your son, or any other passenger, will hate the stock passenger pad on the Roadster after only a few miles. I have a 2-up seat that I swap out if I intend on carrying a passenger.

The Rocket is perfect for that commute though. I commute about 75 miles a day on my Rocket and I get spoiled to it's power in managing traffic. When I have to use my van or truck, it stinks!

That's awesome. I graduated in '95 from ACS and live in the Halfway Community just a few miles from Alvaton... What a small world! LOL

Thanks for the welcome guys and I'll report back after the test drive... I'm a little nervous!

Welcome to the forum. You may as well 'plunk down the money' because you aren't going to be happy leaving it at the dealership. :D

One note of caution, a hard snap of the right wrist will leave you in :eek: with how much motor is under the tank.

Test drove the Touring first...

Handled extremely well. Having read the forums I was a little concerned with the slow speed and the daunting hill start at the dealership into traffic. Nothing to be worried about. Bike ran well, extremely well balanced, easy to turn, banked into the curves easy, and 70 on the interstate was a breeze.

Negatives for me had to do more with the foot position and angle of the foot boards. I'm 6'1 - 275lbs but the foot boards were either too far forward or not angled enough for my feet to rest comfortably on. I'm really not into the looks of the full hard bags on the side, etc.. but it's a great looking bike if that's your thing. I pulled up at the first stop light and a car pulls up next to me honking their horn and giving me a thumbs up - guess they like the bike too!

I wear an Arai Signet-Q helmet and the chin bar prevented me from seeing the instrument cluster mounted on the tank without having to really look down to see it. Small indicators made it hard to read and the bike didn't shift out of neutral into gear that easily on the first try.

Handled the road well, easy to change lanes, merging at highways speeds was more fun than it should be :eek: but I was really surprised by how easy the bike was to handle and corner compared to my FZ1....

By the time I returned to the dealer (who told me to take my time and be gone as long as I wanted - thanks!!!!) I knew the touring was NOT for me... Just the wrong riding position and not quite as comfortable of a position for me as what I am use to...

Came back, talked to my guy about it, and then took the roadster out for the same test run....

I was concerned with the larger wheels and the decreased cornering abilities I had read about on the forums. The on ramp includes a sharp right, followed by a sweeping left turn to the bridge, then a right back onto the highway... Roadster cornered like an old friend. Couldn't tell the wheels were any larger than the touring and I was sitting in a much better riding position. Missed the windshield of the touring but the sitting posture was more aggressive and kept me from feeling like I was falling off the back of the bike.

SOLID shifting on the transmission, hit 70 without even noticing, took the road bumps extremely well and the parking lot stuff was really manageable.

Overall winner for me - the ROADSTER!

Dealer is pricing me out the options for a windshield, motor guard, highway pegs (for shifting my weight on long rides), and fog light kit.

Back