Having Trouble w/ Corbin Beetle Bags

redrocket

Supercharged
I'm on my 3rd set of bags. 1st set was horrible cosmetically. 2nd set, blisters in the gelcoat and/or paint. 3rd set, a large crack has started just behind the upper muffler on the right bag. Called Gulfcoast Motorcycles today (thier the ones that ordered them for me) and told them of the issue and the parts guy said I'm on my own, call Corbin. The bag is only 1/4 inch away from the upper muffler on that side and the heat protective material that is adhered to the underside is coming loose from the adhesive. I already RTVed it back on. I'm afraid the heat is going to always be an issue in that area, we all know how hot those pipes get! Anyone had similiar issues with thier beetle bags? I will call Corbin Monday but I don't have a good feeling about it. The crack is underneath and not visable, I may have to grind out the crack and Marine Tex it and paint it myself. These freaking bags cost a fortune. I spent nearly 4K on Corbin stuff. Rumble Seat, Fairing and Bags. I guess the dealer is tired of Corbin crap, it didn't take the parts guy very long to let me know they are done with it. I may stop by there tomorrow and talk with the Dealership owner.

I installed Willie & Max Revolution Series bags on my Rocket. They are not in the same league as Corbin stuff but other than being a tad small (which does provide some clearance at the pipes) they look & work fine. And the price is/was right - $220 delivered.

I hope Corbin makes good on your bags....

The heat material began peeling off mine as well, but so far no issues with the bags. I've removed them for washing the bike and seen no evidence of cracking, but will check again due to your post! I glued the heat material back on with the plumber's pvc pipe glue.

I have Jardine pipes and they are a litte bit farther away from the bags, but not much!

Native One

Redrocket, I think you'll find dealing with Corbin directly a lot better than having the dealer do it for you. I found dealing with Corbin that the service staff very attentive and they honestly wanted to make it right! If you don't get this kind of service, you really have to let us know .
Good Luck,
Dog

Thanks BC, can you supply a pic of how they look on the rocket?

This past Tuesday, I laid the bike down - I was on a country road and a property owner's pet peacock was sitting in my lane. My fuel tank, radiator & shroud, handle bars, RHS headlamp, mirrors, brake pedal, etc. all need replaced; Other than a sore wrist and a few spots of road rash, I am fine; Unfortunately I don't have any photos prior to the accident.

The bags I mentioned are available in two sizes. I played it safe and ordered the smaller ones. The larger bags may or may not work, the extra capacity would be nice. If I had to do it again, I'd maybe order both sets and return one of them. Don't hesitate with any questions regarding the install. It was simple but there is a little bit more to it than just bolting them on the bike.

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced tank & radiator? I saw the tank somewhere for $835. That hurts me more than the crash.

One more thing - does it make sense to approach the property owner regarding homeowners insurance since his/her pet was not in its pen and was in the middle of the road, causing the accident?

Thanks.

BC,
I'm really sorry to hear about your bike, even though it hurts to mess up your bike at least you can ride another day. That would bum me out for sure. How much money do we waste in our lifetime, what's a few thousand more. I take it you don't have collision insurance on your bike? A bike this expensive to fix is a candidate for some good insurance with a low deductable on collision and comprehensive. I ground out the crack in my bags w/ a dremel and filled it in with Marine Tex repair. I'm pretty sure the material melted and cracked the paint. I also removed my upper pipe and drilled out the support bracket so I could slide it downward a little to allow more clearance. It went from 1/4" to 5/8" clearance between the bag and muffler. When I go toDaytona, I will show them the area, see what they say. I don't know of anyone with a used tank. Check out the classifieds on here andd the Triumph RAT forum.

RedRocket said:
The bag is only 1/4 inch away from the upper muffler

I had this same problem on my '06 Classic - my dealer sent them back to Corbin, who fixed it at no cost to me (the felt on the inside of the bag had melted and the paint was burnt from the heat - in the days before they started installing the heat shielding. Once I got the bags back, it was obvious the same problem would occur again. What I found is that the mounting holes on mine were larger than the bolts that secure them to the bike, and that if I used that slop in the fitting to raise the bag to it's highest point and then tighten the bolts, I could increase the clearance from the muffler. I've had no problems since then - just have to remember to repeat the procedure any time I remove the bags. It was also necessary to do the same thing to the other back to keep the look symmetrical. Best of luck.

BC,
I'm really sorry to hear about your bike, even though it hurts to mess up your bike at least you can ride another day. That would bum me out for sure. How much money do we waste in our lifetime, what's a few thousand more. I take it you don't have collision insurance on your bike? A bike this expensive to fix is a candidate for some good insurance with a low deductable on collision and comprehensive. I ground out the crack in my bags w/ a dremel and filled it in with Marine Tex repair. I'm pretty sure the material melted and cracked the paint. I also removed my upper pipe and drilled out the support bracket so I could slide it downward a little to allow more clearance. It went from 1/4" to 5/8" clearance between the bag and muffler. When I go toDaytona, I will show them the area, see what they say. I don't know of anyone with a used tank. Check out the classifieds on here andd the Triumph RAT forum.

Thanks. I have insurance. I just like to keep things uncomplicated as possible. Sh*t happens, I guess. Life= dealing with problems.

Regarding wasted $$$ in our lifetimes, I think we got a good bang-for-the-buck with the Rocket. As with any recreational vehicle, they get ya the second time you walk in the door. and the third time......

It sound like you took care of the clearance problem. Good deal. Those pipes do set high.

Thanks again.

Back