Have 1500rpm idle and P0505

rocketjohn

Top Fuel
Ride
was a 2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
Which is an ISCV error. Background...I was rooting around under the tank installing ramair. That went fairly well and I did a 12 minute tune thereafter, noting that idle was around 900rpm give or take. When tune was complete I shut down, and buttoned everything back up. Now I COULD have knocked something lose, and wonder what I would look for. This error came up today, and there had been no use of the bike from the 12 minute tune a week ago and starting it up today and noting the check engine light and high idle. If I reset the light with TuneECU, the error comes right back as soon as you turn the ignition back off and back on. If I manually manipulate the upper throttle plates, the ISCV does fight and try to put them where it thinks they ought to be. But apparently beyond calibration there might be something electrical with it for it does throw a code.

@HansO @DEcosse

High Idle is normally associated with an air leak on the intakes system
Check the hoses to the MAP sensor and to the TB's and make sure that everything is properly secured and no hoses are cracked or ruptured or simply disconnected

If there is an air leak, you can probably see it on the MAP readings in the tests page (normally used for balancing)

Check the hoses to the MAP sensor and to the TB's and make sure that everything is properly secured and no hoses are cracked or ruptured or simply disconnected

If there is an air leak, you can probably see it on the MAP readings in the tests page (normally used for balancing)

OK, vaccum leak makes sense, but to be sure, would that throw a P0505, the thinking being that the ISCV wants to make the idle right, but cannot due to the vacuum leak?

My bike also suffered Idle-run instability. HIgh tpm with strange short drops to low tpm. It appeared to be a defect sensor -situated left (underneath the coolingreservoir)

Welp, no air leaks that I can find, each TB has it's necessary hoses, the MAP sensor is connected though hanging free, being it was mounted on the middle plenum which is gone now with ramair installed. All hoses nice an flexible. The Evap system was disconnected some months ago, to make other use of the space occupied by the vapor can. No leaks there and the purge valve is connected electrically but blocked to vacuum. I ran another 12 minute tune and the bike just likes 1500 rpm. I noted the number 2 TB was at 560 to 580hpa while the 1 & 3 were around 530. A little lower than I am accustomed to but fine for the free flowing nature of ramair I suspect, and since the idle is rather high which could impact the vacuum readings. After the tune I ran a test on the ISCV which it appeared to pass, and I had TUNEecu check the voltage which showed at .67 volts...which I see is a bit high, but now I have to go work and won't be able to get back to it. If it is worth adjusting the voltage on the ISCV, where is the screw to do it? That is on my R3T, I don't find one and there does not appear to be any trap doors on the ISCV that I can pull off. I am about ready step back to a previous tune to see if that will make any difference, though I have my doubts, the most recent tune seemed to do well with a test drive. I am inclined to think my ISCV is on the way out already! 7500 miles!

Last edited:
So I agree from readings it's not external air leak
Are you sure the gap is set correctly?
If the throttles are not able to close further when the ISCV is attempting to, your mechanical adjustment may be off .....

I would go through the complete adjustment process for setting up the ISCV

So I agree from readings it's not external air leak
Are you sure the gap is set correctly?
If the throttles are not able to close further when the ISCV is attempting to, your mechanical adjustment may be off .....

I would go through the complete adjustment process for setting up the ISCV

I will see if I can adjust the pintle or see if some lubrication is needed. I will try to mark where it is now so that I can return it if necessary. I am pretty sure a mechanical adjustment would bring the idle down, but it would be a first for me, and therefore wonder when I do that, and then do a 12 minute tune, should I first reset adaptations? I do believe that should be done if I do a full ISCV setup routine. I should probably be consulting the manual which I have...but why do that when you can pester someone?:thumbsup:

@DEcosse well I can't figure. Idle is dialed in, and I found the adjuster nut quite loose on iscv. Tightened it to bring idle close in and 12 minute tune is zeroing in on 870- 900rpm. Still get fault code but maybe it will go after several rides with things copacetic.

When you put the RamAir on did you run a new tune on the ecu to compensate for the additional intake breath of air? then after running new tune you have to run an ISCV reset & then TPS chec, then re-set adaptations, then 12 minute tune

Just in case check the cable plug on the stepper motor to make sure its locked in. Then full ISCV reset/adjust if needed. After full ISCV reset if it does not prompt you do a reset adaptations and cycle the key off for five seconds. Then you can start her. This should clear codes if it is fixed. If not then we can go from there.

Back