Has anyone done a Tuneecu for dummies using android?

paul harrison

Standard Bore
Ride
r 3 roadster, h d custom 1340, T140 Triumph,
And i do mean dummies, i could do with a step by step demo of how to copy my map and save it so i can send it off to Hans0 using android, i have the lonelec cable and a tablet, lots of people have said how much easier it is to get android to work but frustratingly never a how too!! i would like to master these plastic things with a screen but my fingers are trained to twirl steel not buttons or swipe screens, any help would be welcomed. Harry.

Not aware of a step-by-step guide, but it shouldn't be too complex. You did get the Android adapter with the Lonelec cable? Otherwise you need a so-called OTG cable, which converts from the tiny micro-usb on the device to an USB port you can plug the Lonelec cable into.

If you don't have that, hit up Amazon and do a search for "otg cable" and you will find many, pick one that looks nice and plug that in between your Lonelec cable and your Android device.

With that, you fire up the program, plug in the cables and should get a connection. Then choose the "Read Map" command. That should get the information out of the ECU into the Android, this will take a few minutes. Stay away from the Reprogram choice for now...

Getting files into and out of an Android device is usually also a doddle - just use a normal charging cable to hook the device up to a PC. The Android device should show up as a removable drive you can just drag and drop files to/from. However, that said, looking at http://tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/android.html I don't see any mention of a "save to hex" function, there is an "open" function though (ie load a new map from the Android's internal storage for sending to the ECU with the Reprogram function) which you'll probably use to read in the modified map when you get it back.

I've been too cheap to actually buy the program since I don't expect I'll be tuning my bike anytime soon and already have the Windows version working just fine... so can't verify some of these assumptions I'm making.

If there is a save to hex function, use that to save it to a file on the Android device, then copy that to the PC and send it as a file from there. If there isn't, try using the copy function from the copy/paste section, then open your mail program in Android and use paste there to paste it in and see what happens. Maybe you can mail it out right from the device.

Thank you for that in depth reply, I had a play with it the other day with a friend of mine who is well up on computors and yes it is much simpler to install than windows, i have sent a map to Hans0 and await his reply. i will look at your instructions again when its time to load the new map. And anyone out there struggling with windows, if you have an android device try it, you only need a cable, no drivers no zip folders, Thanks again cr0ft for your input.

Yeah Paul I saw your e-mail just yesterday but won't get time to play with it till tomorrow arvo as long as I don't get "A phone call"

wouldnt credit but yes I had a phone call yesterday ... will try to get it done sometime over next couple of days

iirc - one thing Tom mentioned you can't alter is the target idle speed (tickover).

It might be worth dropping Tom a note - as he's probably working on a "how to". Unfortunately I don't have an Android 4 device to play with. I'm not a big fan of the droid. I'm more a Linux junkie.

Also afaik there is an issue in some of the newer Android in saving files to external (microSD) memory. One of these days I must try TuneECU on a nano-PC with Win8.1 - M-soft issues 0 dollar licences for micro PC's.

iirc - one thing Tom mentioned you can't alter is the target idle speed (tickover).

It might be worth dropping Tom a note - as he's probably working on a "how to". Unfortunately I don't have an Android 4 device to play with. I'm not a big fan of the droid. I'm more a Linux junkie.

Also afaik there is an issue in some of the newer Android in saving files to external (microSD) memory. One of these days I must try TuneECU on a nano-PC with Win8.1 - M-soft issues 0 dollar licences for micro PC's.
Could one of you, Please answer a few quick questions for me? I'm so pissed off by my own ignorance. There are things I simply don't know or understand. I want to learn - fast!!! I own a Samsung Galaxy 10 Android tablet that has Bluetooth, but no external USB port to connect to. It only has the Micro-USB port, ( which is the charging port ). How can I use this device to read and load maps to my 2013 Rocket 3 Touring? I don't want to simply perform diagnostic observations. I want to "re-tune" my bike, and have the ability to change ALL its parameters. I haven't done it yet, but I believe I'll be able to download the TuneECU software from my Google Play Store. If I'm successful with the download, what will I need next? The cables? And, what adapters will I need? I've read about an adapter that connects a USB cable to a Micro-USB adapter. Is this so I can connect to my Android tablet's Micro-USB power port, ( the charging port )? Can I access functions through my tablet's charging port, even though my tablet doesn't have an external USB slot? The Micro-USB charging port of my Android tablet will provide me the same functionality? Yes? Or, no? So, how is this all configured, ( physically hooked up )? Cables from my tablet to the bike? If so, then where does the use of Bluetooth come in? Or, does it, ( if I'm using these cables and adapters )? I've looked at the TuneECU website numerous times, but it seems to me, the website assumes the reader has a certain level of knowledge that I simply don't have, ( yet ). Looks like I need my hand held for just a few minutes. Then, I'll be able to take my first steps. I would greatly appreciate somebody having the patience to walk me through a little bit of this. Thanks... Russell

Back