Has anyone cut down the tall sissy bar?

Phil68

.040 Over
I ordered the tall sissy bar/luggage rack for my 14' R3R and should be here tomorrow. I couldn't decide on the tall or short so figured I'd buy the tall and cut it down if it didn't work for me.

Has anyone cut/shortened the Triumph sissy bar? I don't have a lot of metal working tools so was wondering if just a cut off wheel would do? I'm going to have it powder coated black so I'm not real worried about the chrome.

Don't think it will work very well, the bars are at an angle, so you can't really cut much or the bars reaching up to the pad will not meet up with the bracket.

DSC_0013.JPG
Pic of short and long together - there is a difference of 58mm in overall height, but the bottom legs are the same length - So you WILL find some trouble in cutting a long one down to a short one. NO I will not be selling my short sissy bar.:)

I cut the long sissy bar that came with my bike down to a tad shorter than the 'short' one. No dramas .. welded the sissy bar to the mounting brackets at the same time .. you need to be a f#ckin octopus to mount the bar/brackets and rack (scratched the paint on rear guard once) powdercoated the whole lot gloss black .. easy job ;)

As TC said. That's achievable by welding brackets together. At least you don't need to think about getting the bolt holes lined up.

Funny story about these bars. I am really glad I have the tall one.

Wife and I were riding and I had a situation occur where I needed all the balls the rocket had to avoid an accident. I was right around 2000 RPM in 2nd gear and ripped it open to get out of the way quickly. There was not time to warn her, or use the brakes, or gently roll on power. The wife had never felt the full power of the rocket up to that point.

She was sitting a bit forward, not leaning on the bar, but not up against me, kind of sitting right between me and the bar. Well when the torque hit, she got yanked back into the bar, then when I let of a couple second later, she flopped forward into me. Was hilarious to me, to her... not so much. She didn't appreciate bouncing around likea rag doll very much.

With a short bar, I am not sure it would have held her on the bike as the tall one did. I'll gladly take the "it doesn't look as cool" factor for insurance that my pillion stays a pillion and doesn't do a sudden unanticipated dismount.

Funny story about these bars. I am really glad I have the tall one.

Wife and I were riding and I had a situation occur where I needed all the balls the rocket had to avoid an accident. I was right around 2000 RPM in 2nd gear and ripped it open to get out of the way quickly. There was not time to warn her, or use the brakes, or gently roll on power. The wife had never felt the full power of the rocket up to that point.

She was sitting a bit forward, not leaning on the bar, but not up against me, kind of sitting right between me and the bar. Well when the torque hit, she got yanked back into the bar, then when I let of a couple second later, she flopped forward into me. Was hilarious to me, to her... not so much. She didn't appreciate bouncing around likea rag doll very much.

With a short bar, I am not sure it would have held her on the bike as the tall one did. I'll gladly take the "it doesn't look as cool" factor for insurance that my pillion stays a pillion and doesn't do a sudden unanticipated dismount.

the short one saved my wife.

JM2C... Back in the day I couldn't believe the price Triumph wanted for the sissy bars. So when a fellow captian on this site was selling one for $50.00 i grabbed it. It is the shorty and it fits my travel bag perfectly and the rack makes a big difference. Being an 2005 it is stationary and too much effort to take on and off that's why i opted for the shorty. I bought it in 08 and just put it on two years ago after i lost a nice camera that fell off the back. :rolleyes: Would it really be worth cutting 2.2" inches off ??

Attachments

• 734212_4614578480030_422014542_n.jpg
    734212_4614578480030_422014542_n.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 426400_4863790590177_68310190_n.jpg
    426400_4863790590177_68310190_n.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back