PappyBlade

Trucks, it's what's for dinner and everything else
Ride
"Mor'du" 2015 Rocket 3 Roadster ABS
I just bought my '15 Roadster, used, with 8k miles. It's heavily modded with Carpenter Sidewinders, an air intake I don't know the brand of (but it's HOT lookin!), and I'm sure an aftermarket controller. All of this info isn't really relevant, but it's nice to know...

My issue is this: I can't seem to find N to save my life! I go from 1 to 2 to 1 to 2 several times every time I try to park.

Is this common? Is this normal? Do I have a 'typical issue' that I've not found in my lazy search of previous threads?

It also shifts much harder than my Vulcan 1600 Classic, though I know every bike is different and this harder shifting may just be normal for these bikes. (is it?)

it can be tricky...i think you will just get accustomed to the feel....move forward on the seat a tad so you toe has a different rate of pressure when trying to find n...its just a feel you get used to.

it can be tricky...i think you will just get accustomed to the feel....move forward on the seat a tad so you toe has a different rate of pressure when trying to find n...its just a feel you get used to.

So it's "typical of changing from one bike to another" is what you're saying? I somewhat assumed this but just wanted to check. My first bike was half what I paid for this, and much older, so I expected problems and got lucky and had none. Other than clutch free play, which seems about right, I was wondering if there were any other common issues I should be aware of on the trans.

Thanks!!

Clutch lever adjustment is EXTREMELY critical on R3's - "About right" does NOT cut it. It has to be spot on as the manual says or you will hit issues. Too much play and the plates will drag a bit and you won't find "N". To tight and you will wear the lifter mechanism.

On my R3 - 1/8th of a turn on teh adjuster makes a world of difference

Look for any post by@idk. In his signature you will find links to some "hot to" files.

Clutch lever adjustment is EXTREMELY critical on R3's - "About right" does NOT cut it. It has to be spot on as the manual says or you will hit issues. Too much play and the plates will drag a bit and you won't find "N". To tight and you will wear the lifter mechanism.

On my R3 - 1/8th of a turn on teh adjuster makes a world of difference

Look for any post by@idk. In his signature you will find links to some "hot to" files.

After looking in the owner's manual, I think I need to adjust! LOL, I'm pretty sure I have more than 2mm. I'll get on that when the sun pokes over the mountain, and see how that affects things. Thanks a bunch!

With my Rocket, finding neutral is super easy. Rarely have any issue over correcting between 1st and 2nd either way.

Just curious, what oil do you have in the bike? Stick to a high quality synthetic.

You stated the tranny feels jerky when shifting. Mine is buttery smooth. Points to wrong quality oil or the previous owner missed a few shifts drag racing the bike.....

In addition to the previous posters, I have found that rolling the bike forward a little, once you have stopped, makes finding neutral a lot easier. My previous bike was a 2009, 1700 Nomad. Kawasaki's neutral finder technology spoiled me in finding neutral when I wanted to.

With my Rocket, finding neutral is super easy. Rarely have any issue over correcting between 1st and 2nd either way.

Just curious, what oil do you have in the bike? Stick to a high quality synthetic.

You stated the tranny feels jerky when shifting. Mine is buttery smooth. Points to wrong quality oil or the previous owner missed a few shifts drag racing the bike.....

No idea what oil, just bought it 3 days ago. Considering all the mods, the missed shifts is a very real possibility., and is part of why I'm concerned.

Clutch adjustment is CRITICAL!!! An oil change with the correct oil may also be a good idea. I usually do that on any used vehicle that I purchase. Shifts should be smooth and easy.

I was about to say "like my women", but I won't.

Back