Hard start on 47 degrees weather !!

20R3GT

.040 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3GT
I bought my rocket 3 GT two months ago and very like it so much! All the time bike fire up in morning from first try and two days ago weather in Chicago drops from 90 degrees at noon to 46 in morning, and already have cold start on bike from second crank in the morning or very long first one I did only one time! So question is have some one experience something similar on start and how normal it is for cold weather???? And it’s only on cold start right after all day long from first try like usual!!! Did not have this bike in cold weather so just curious, my VROD always was starting in 3 - 4 crank no matter what weather was rocket was starting after first or maybe second crank all the time! And yesterday connected battery charger and it shows all green and good! So no battery issues

It may still be the battery. The charger does not verify that the battery has full power under load, only that it is fully charged. You can take the battery to AutoZone (or other parts store) and they can test the battery underload to ensure that it is not failing.

Verify that all connections are tight. Go so far as to loosen then them, clean them with a wire brush, apply dielectric grease, and tighten them back down.

On the older models, we have discovered the negative cable is not robust enough for cold weather operations. Plus, some machines are just hard on batteries. My 2014 is on its 5th battery in 84K miles.

Good luck in finding the root cause of your issue.

It may still be the battery. The charger does not verify that the battery has full power under load, only that it is fully charged. You can take the battery to AutoZone (or other parts store) and they can test the battery underload to ensure that it is not failing.

Verify that all connections are tight. Go so far as to loosen then them, clean them with a wire brush, apply dielectric grease, and tighten them back down.

On the older models, we have discovered the negative cable is not robust enough for cold weather operations. Plus, some machines are just hard on batteries. My 2014 is on its 5th battery in 84K miles.

Good luck in finding the root cause of your issue.
Ouch on 5th battery, I will check it out

Mine did the same thing until I first turn switch up to fire up lights. Wait a few seconds before switch down to start. Works first time every time.

Are you using premium gas? If so try 87 octane unless in Europe, then Ron 95.

Mine did the same thing until I first turn switch up to fire up lights. Wait a few seconds before switch down to start. Works first time every time.

Are you using premium gas? If so try 87 octane unless in Europe, then Ron 95.
I use always premium on everything I have engine cars and bike! I flipping up to start and than down for start very fast maybe your words have sense!! I have to try it tomorrow for sure! Up wait 10 sec down another 10 sec and then crank it up I will report tomorrow!!

I use always premium on everything I have engine cars and bike! I flipping up to start and than down for start very fast maybe your words have sense!! I have to try it tomorrow for sure! Up wait 10 sec down another 10 sec and then crank it up I will report tomorrow!!
Yes! Bet that works.
Have to say once weather warmed up only hit start switch and it fired every time. Then it didn't, even with warm weather. Put seafoam in, then 1st time again every time.
Switched to 87 octane and bike feels tad more responsive, little stronger, even start ups.

Yes! Bet that works.
Have to say once weather warmed up only hit start switch and it fired every time. Then it didn't, even with warm weather. Put seafoam in, then 1st time again every time.
Switched to 87 octane and bike feels tad more responsive, little stronger, even start ups.
Strange for me that 87 works better than 93!! But I will definitely try it next week because I filled my tank up with 93 couple hours ago!! Your bike on stock map ecu or you got flash it?

Strange for me that 87 works better than 93!! But I will definitely try it next week because I filled my tank up with 93 couple hours ago!! Your bike on stock map ecu or you got flash it?
Stock. If you research it, 93 gives no more performance when engine not requiring it. Some evidence less. Manual states 87 octane or higher for AKI labels on pumps in the US.
Post your results, curious.

Stock. If you research it, 93 gives no more performance when engine not requiring it. Some evidence less. Manual states 87 octane or higher for AKI labels on pumps in the US.
Post your results, curious.
Tomorrow I will try your theory with 10 sec -1 position 10 sec second and fire it up! And next week I will try 87 octane in Chicago weather;) thx I hope it will work! Report back tomorrow captain !!

Back