Hairline Crack on Exhaust Header

estoma

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3R, VMX17, RC8-R, GL1800, H-D Breakout, R18
I noticed a hairline crack on the middle (#2) header almost two weeks ago.

The crack is approximately parallel to the engine face along the exhaust ports. Its jagged appearance indicates that it might well have started as a shorter (hydroforming-related) stress fracture from where it then propagated to its current length. It is about 18 mm (0.75") long now, and there is no local discolouration - indicating that probably only the outer exhaust layer has been affected. I measured it again earlier today, and it has not extended in the meantime. I have nevertheless notified Triumph SA that I might be knocking on their door for a replacement manifold should the situation worsen.

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02772.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02772.jpg
    DSC02772.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Any reason you're not going ahead and having it taken care of now under warranty... regardless if it gets worse or not?
-MIG

I would have them order it and have it there along with gasgets so it would be a quick change.

Before you cruise into the dealer take off the Werkes exhaust and put the OEM back on. They will use that as an excuse to not fix the header. It has nothing to do with the header but I guarantee you they will make it an issue. The dealers here won't even modify/change the pissy horn mush less an exhaust.

Any reason you're not going ahead and having it taken care of now under warranty... regardless if it gets worse or not?
-MIG
Triumph knows about it. I sent them even more photos, high-res, when I first noticed it. And which they were happy to receive. The crack is really thin. I would probably not even have noticed it if I had not scratched off a tiny baked-on morsel right next to it with my fingernail. It would be pedantic, IMHO, to claim a replacement at this stage, and I doubt I would succeed. It functions, does not leak, and you must look for it to see it. I only posted to share the information so that others can have a good squiz in case they might be experiencing the same.

If not mistaken the warranty covers for 1 yrear only even cosmetic changes to metal- discoloration etc. That crack is not normal. I would push for replacement.

If not mistaken the warranty covers for 1 yrear only even cosmetic changes to metal- discoloration etc. That crack is not normal. I would push for replacement.
All new Triumph motorcycles registered on or after 01.12.92 are covered by a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty, commencing from the date of first registration or the date of sale if the motorcycle remains unregistered.

Source from the SA site but it's the same worldwide: Triumph Warranty

warranty can be extended in most countries to at least 4years and even more in a few places for a very reasonable cost at anytime within the first 12 months since registration.

All new Triumph motorcycles registered on or after 01.12.92 are covered by a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty, commencing from the date of first registration or the date of sale if the motorcycle remains unregistered.

Source from the SA site but it's the same worldwide: Triumph Warranty

warranty can be extended in most countries to at least 4years and even more in a few places for a very reasonable cost at anytime within the first 12 months since registration.
I read warranty with my bike and metal imperfections, discoloration etc was only covered for 1 yr.

Back