H4 Headlight Relay Kit

JohnnyCanuck

Supercharged
I've read a lot about problems with the ignition switch on this forum and was thinking of picking up the Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay Kit for the R3 in order to nip any possible switch failure before it happens. Just a few questions before I place my order:

1) Do newer R3's (I have a 2008 standard) have the same problem with ignition switch failure or did Triumph beef up the circuitry by then?

2) Should I order the PC8 fuse block in addition to the relay kit? What is the benefit?

Thanks a bunch as always!

I've read a lot about problems with the ignition switch on this forum and was thinking of picking up the Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay Kit for the R3 in order to nip any possible switch failure before it happens. Just a few questions before I place my order:

1) Do newer R3's (I have a 2008 standard) have the same problem with ignition switch failure or did Triumph beef up the circuitry by then?

2) Should I order the PC8 fuse block in addition to the relay kit? What is the benefit?

Thanks a bunch as always!

I installed the headlight relay with the on off switch and the extra lenght of wires and wired it to a PC8 .there are pictures on this forum of my mod I mounted the PC8 on an aluminum piece bolted to the left side the benefit is that 1--- lights are connected directly to a protected block bypassing totally the ignition 2--- most accessories are also protected by fuses . lights are also brighter now. I also mounted two RCA plugs on the right side going to the PC8 from them I charge the battery and any unswitched accessory hooked to the PC8.
I believe the 2008 ignition barrel being the same your risks of a meltdown are also the same .
hellfire can give you some more benefits he knows of ..

..it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway..just because of the added benefit of much brighter headlights..I do think Triumph upgraded the wiring loom to some degree on newer models..not sure when they started though, or even if they did..bastards..lol..

..the fuse-block is a nice addition if you plan on adding anything electrical in the future..I went with the 3 circuit solution he sells, as I already had an auxiliary plug..

go for it...

I did the Eastern Beaver (love that name) relay kit on my '06 Classic to avoid igniton barrel failure and it has made a huge improvement on headlight brightness. I didn't go with the on/off switch but will upgrade to it for ease of starting the beast. The PC8 fuse block is a also great idea and I have that on my mod list for this season.
Since you're pulling the tank and doing all the work anyway, why not do it all? But especially get the version with the switch...

I did the Eastern Beaver (love that name) relay kit on my '06 Classic to avoid igniton barrel failure and it has made a huge improvement on headlight brightness. I didn't go with the on/off switch but will upgrade to it for ease of starting the beast. The PC8 fuse block is a also great idea and I have that on my mod list for this season.
Since you're pulling the tank and doing all the work anyway, why not do it all? But especially get the version with the switch...

Actually since the posi-locks are plugged into the main harness, the lo-beam lights are cut when you hit the starter button. (I found out). The real advantage of the on/off switch is using Tuneboy since you don't have to pull the fuse on the headlights. Switch the lights off and they don't come on (even with the bike running). What I found out is if you want to keep the position lights working you'll need 2 more posi-locks and some wire to run from the ground and position light wires on the harness plug. You then won't lose any of the stock lighting and your headlights are muy brighter and work as they did before kit install.

I'm planning on running that setup on plug 2 that is no longer used so the position lights will work. Cheap and easy.

What are you referring to as "Position Lights"?
If you are talking about the parking lights (small bulbs mounted in bottom of headlight assy), they are unaffected by the H4 kit. Their function does not change, I didn't want them anylonger so I cut the leads feeding them. They are there to come on with the tail light when the steering lock is turned another notch to "parking lights' and while headlights are on.

The headlights do go out with the starter button but are on as soon as the ignition key is turned on. Having the low beam cut off switch allows for turning off the headlights before turning on the ignition and leaving them off while the bike warms up. Just a little extra boost for cranking and charging.

Just installed the Eastern Beaver HDRK-R3 kit this weekend.
Easy as pie!
I didn't see any need for the additional fuse block but I guess it would be handy if you wanted to add accessories.
You will lose your parking (position) lights if you install the kit per the directions.
If you wanted to retain them it would be a simple matter of retaining some of the original harness.
The difference in the brightness of light is astounding!
The only thing I wasn't thrilled about were the Posi-Lock connectors, I may go back in and solder the connections (only two wires).

I have the Gi Pro installed so far. What other electrical accessories may I be looking at installing in the future? Can't think of any off the top of my head. I was also going to order the Powerlet Auxilliary Plug to plug my heated gear in so don't have to worry about that. If there are some accessories I haven't thought of I'll go with the PC8. Otherwise I'll stick with the simpler and cheaper install and just get the relay kit.

Back