camccardell

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
Hello out there!
I just purchased my 07 r3 roadster classic, and it looks like my first upgrade will be a new front tire.

I'm kinda green when it comes to tires, so hopefully someone can fill me in on this.
I have been looking at a new 150/80 r17 for the front, and it looks like the factory 880 seems to have pretty good overall reviews. I am wondering if it really makes a difference between choosing an H rated or V rated tire.
I know that the H rated is bias ply where as the V rated is a radial. Would that make much of a difference in ride-ability or handling? Would it bad to have a bias ply up front and a radial in the rear? (assuming that the rear tire is a radial as well?)

Any other things I should consider?

Not looking to ride this thing like a over 100mph anyway, but I am interested to know what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

You are allowed to have bias ply tyres on one axle and radials on the other, but you can't mix them on the same axle. However, the bias ply will probably be heavier than the radial, and have different handling dynamics, so you will have to make a choice for your riding conditions. If you are riding and cornering hard then I would suggest that you stick with a radial up front. If you are cruising then it is not so critical.

The front Metz cups withing a couple thousand miles, on my Touring, Avons last much monger.

I've got V rated Bridgestones front & rear on my Touring and they are great! They beat the Metzelers hands down. You don't have to ride 140+ to make 'em work.

Last edited:
I bought the Exedra Maxes for the Touring, the Classic has a 17" front in lieu of the 16" on the Touring. I know many have used the Exedra Max on the rears of Standard, Classic, and Roadster models with excellent results. I haven't looked at them for these models for the front. I looked and found no suitable front for the Classic. The Exedra Max rear is available in the H(bias) tire and the guys are using an Avon(bias) on the front, shame there isn't a V rated for the front of the Std., Classic, & Roadster size.

Last edited:
Exedra Max rear and Avon front both V rated and IMO work well together. Next I will try the 140 Michelin Commander II on the front with the Exedra Max rear.
Metzlers are at the bottom of my list period!!!!

Bridgestone do an Exedra Max to suit the Touring (I confess I'm not sure of the speed rating) but not for the Roadster. There is a 150/80-17 Exedra, but not a Max. I've tried it and didn't like it, mostly because it simply didn't last. I run Avon Cobra on the front and see no need to change it. Good mileage and is very sure footed.

Bridgestone Exedra Max is easily the best of the 3 available for a Roadster. It is higher profile than the Metz and Avon but that is all positive and a bonus - unless an extra 1/3 inch in seat height is going to bother you. I get double the mileage over Metz and for grip, ride and handling it's superior. Looks bigger from behind too! ;)

I should say the Avon rear isn't too bad in the dry and wears about 30% better than Metz so if you don't want the higher profile, go the Avon.

From Dunlop's site:
"Can I change my tires from bias ply to radial or vice versa?
Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, wider wheels, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer."

From RevZilla's site:
"Can I mix radial and bias? What’s the difference? Does it matter? My bike came with bias, can I use radial or vice-versa?

Well, again – we at RevZilla respect a customer’s right to choose. However, if asked, we only recommend sticking with a manufacturer’s recommended tire construction type.

To be brief, radial tires offer lower temperatures (leading to longer life), stiffer construction, and the ability to make tires with lower aspect ratio sidewalls, resulting in less flex.

Bias-ply tires offer a softer, more compliant ride and typically, a little lower price. Their other main advantage is load-carrying capability: in a given size, you’ll typically see a bias handle weight better. It explains why Harley (a big player in the heavy-cruiser market!) and certain touring bikes use them.

Interestingly, for some manufacturers, a mix of bias and radial tires are factory equipment. You’ll see the mix with radial rear and bias front tires, but we do not know of any combinations in reverse. Anecdotally, folks have run mixed tires with success in the past. However, most riders doing such a thing are usually aware of what they’re doing, hyper-vigilant about the fact that something negative could occur, and experimenting with a specific performance characteristic as an end goal. With that said, RevZilla does not have a problem with a mix of radial and bias-ply tires, as long as that mix is in keeping with the OEM recommendations, and the tires are in their correct OEM positions (Bias front, radial rear)."

Can mixing tire types be done? In a word - yes!

Should it be done? Personally, I wouldn't do it on a bike of size and power of ours. that said, I'm an aggressive rider and therefore this is a more critical issue for me and my riding style than it is for others.

I was the first here to use the Exedra Max rear, the first to try the Michelin Commander II 140 up front and the first to match the Exedra Max radial in back with the Exedra Max radial 130/70ZR 17 up front.

The Michelin provides vastly improved turn-in and steering response in addition to making the bike feel about 150 lbs. lighter than it is. The 130 is even better, improving steering and handling commensurately and further lightening the feel of the Beast as well as seriously improving its flickability and tracking, however it may be too aggressive a set-up for the casual, everyday rider. It also creates a pretty sizable gap between the fender and the tire, easily remedied by drilling out and dropping the fender.

Back