GRUMPYOLDMAN

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket 3
I JUST PURCHASED A 2006 TRIUMPH ROCKET 3 WITH 9K ON IT. I HAVE RIDDEN ALL MY LIFE, BUT NEVER A ROCKET. I DISCOVERED THAT THE BIKE REALLY IS HARD TO CORNOR WITH. IS THIS BECAUSE OF THE REAR TIRE SIZE? I GOT USED TO IT AFTER 300 MILES BUT I WONDERED IF THIS IS NORMAL FOR THIS BIKE?:confused:

I think you nailed it. The Rocket is different to pretty much everything else out there and takes getting used to. You do need to lean your body more than on other bikes, but that's only to be expected. The back tyre has much to do with it; M109 is the same and so is HD Rocker - all with 240 rear. You can test that by taking an R3Touring for a test ride and you'll find that it's easier with the 180 rear. Nothing wrong with the way Rockets handle. Just don't expect it to be like a 1 litre sport bike of smaller cruiser. It's not.

Tyre pressure is essential ... i run 45 psi in the back tyre. Just takes a bit of gettin used to... then the Rocket is as good a handler as you can expect from a 360 kilo cruiser. Never going to be nimble :D

Actually the biggest problem is the Front tyre Change to just about any other brand of front tyre and the big girls handling will improve enormously. I run a Shinko other run Avon, Bridgestone some the slighty smaller Michelin which will be my next tyre on the front, All of these will improve the nimbleness and improve turn in going into corners ;):D

Tyre pressures Sir.. Makes a huge difference to handling.. check weekly they seem to loose air, not totally sure why :)

I've had the same problem since i've owned the bike :confused: not sure why either but the rear seems to lose more air than the front. No biggy but sitting over time it loses up to 5 lbs of pressure.. Maybe i'll get one of those little bells that hang off the Harley bikes to keep the Gremlins from letting the air out.;)
The Legend Bell or Guardian Bell for Motorcycles

I recently mounted a Bridgestone on the rear. Someone said it would last longer... We'll see
Anyway, I'm finding it handles normally on rolling curves. Coming off the line in a corner, it seems to want to break loose easier.
Don't buy a gremlin bell, someone has to give it to you.
They work too. I got a 6" Johnson screwdriver bit through the sidewall on the way to Sturgis. In the tread, out the sidewall. Almost went to the dark side that day out of necessity. The tire didn't leak and hasn't !

Back