Grip Adhesive Advice

Chris Kelley

Turbocharged
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
I was riding into to work this morning and noticed my throttle response was a bit wonky. Turns out my Kuryakyn ISO grip had come loose from the internal cylinder (this was the set that came with the internal cylinder attached from the factory, not my reusing the original). I was able to remove it real quick and get into work safely. I was wondering if any of you had any advise on what adhesive I should use to repair the grip?

hairspray... you only need a tiny bit of grip to hold if using correct size grips, and hs is a touch slippery until the voc's go away then just a touch sticky... find old style (with lots of warnings on label) if u can... clean and dry all surfaces before doing, and don't get too carried away with the spray, use just enuf to moisten...

I pulled mine apart and after cleaning the old glue off I then smeared some (not too much) sikaflex onto the throttle tube and slid the grip back one (requires assembly first) prior to this I cut a 1" hole in a piece of cardboard about 2-3mm thick and put it on the throttle tube (so excess glue would not glue to the switch body) also remove the end plate if fitted so you can see to make sure the glue is going everywhere- be ready to wipe any overflow away and then leave to dry/cure but before the glue cures remove the cardboard spacer barrier - most cardbourd you can tear carefully

I pulled mine apart and after cleaning the old glue off I then smeared some (not too much) sikaflex onto the throttle tube and slid the grip back one (requires assembly first) prior to this I cut a 1" hole in a piece of cardboard about 2-3mm thick and put it on the throttle tube (so excess glue would not glue to the switch body) also remove the end plate if fitted so you can see to make sure the glue is going everywhere- be ready to wipe any overflow away and then leave to dry/cure but before the glue cures remove the cardboard spacer barrier - most cardbourd you can tear carefully
"Selleys 401 Silicon" is a stronger adhesive, it is a industrial adhesive heat resistant silicon, in fact it is also great for sealing exhaust joints as it is clear with no tell tale colour

I was riding into to work this morning and noticed my throttle response was a bit wonky. Turns out my Kuryakyn ISO grip had come loose from the internal cylinder (this was the set that came with the internal cylinder attached from the factory, not my reusing the original). I was able to remove it real quick and get into work safely. I was wondering if any of you had any advise on what adhesive I should use to repair the grip?
I kept the factory installed grips, they work great.

hairspray... you only need a tiny bit of grip to hold if using correct size grips, and hs is a touch slippery until the voc's go away then just a touch sticky... find old style (with lots of warnings on label) if u can... clean and dry all surfaces before doing, and don't get too carried away with the spray, use just enuf to moisten...
That's what all the old timers suggested for as long as I can remember.
When I about 12 my grip slipped of my dirt bike. That's what my uncle suggested. When mom saw me walking out with her hairspray she said, I don't know what you are planning to burn but my hairspray will not be used for a torch. Use your dad's WD40. o_O

That's what all the old timers suggested for as long as I can remember.
When I about 12 my grip slipped of my dirt bike. That's what my uncle suggested. When mom saw me walking out with her hairspray she said, I don't know what you are planning to burn but my hairspray will not be used for a torch. Use your dad's WD40. o_O
On a theme, go all girly and use false eyelash glue! ;):p:D

"Selleys 401 Silicon" is a stronger adhesive, it is a industrial adhesive heat resistant silicon, in fact it is also great for sealing exhaust joints as it is clear with no tell tale colour
Used that stuff on the last valve job. Worked really well.

Back