Greetings! Obviously, I am new to this forum but let's start!

DKB&R3

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 R3
I have two Triumphs. A '67 Trophy 650-TR6R which I completely stripped down and restored to her day in '67. I was driving it one day and a young cop pulled me over - he said it didn't look like my headlamp was on, it was (just dim) but he REALLY wanted to have close look at the bike - he said his older brother had one just like it! We had a nice visit on the side of the road. 5 years ago I bought my R3 - drop dead gorgeous with an attitude! She is a 2005 Rocket III, black with a ton of chrome and a blast to ride. She has been performing flawlessly until I heard the grinding/sliding/chatter, intermittently, from the lower region of the engine. I took it to the dealer and they said its the output rear bearing. They quoted an obscene amount to fix it and stated they can't find the part. My question to the forum is, is this "normal" to happen, (to R3's) where can I find the part and is a total fix or will this undoubtedly happen again? Feeling a little frustrated as riding season is quickly approaching.

Type "output shaft bearing" in the search window in the upper right hand section of the home page. There are lots of threads about this particular issue. From what I gather it's mostly the older models and there is an upgrade bearing. The stories vary on how hard it is to find one but it seems it's fairly common. Someone will be along with more specific help I'm sure.

Welcome from Virginia!

Welcome from Georgia. This does accrue to older bikes. but this is the place to go get the info you need. I have an 05 Standard with 37000 miles on it and( knock on wood) haven't had this issue yet. after reading the accounts of this on here I will have no problem making the repairs myself... when/if it happens. these folks are the greatest. Parts seem to available through Bike Banded site.

;):thumbsup:Welcome from OZ. I ride an '05 and read the horror stories .... sounds like the beginning of another one. I often wonder what would happen if it happened to me, I'm not bad with a spanner .... but don't think that I would take an output bearing on due to the time which would be compounded by being obsessive about spannering. Plenty of info on the site. Hope your not daunted because riding a Rocket is so incredibly rewarding please keep us updated.
There is no riding season here at the top of the world.

WELCOME to ya from WA State!
Where you been for the past 5 years???

Another OZY Welcome mate, the output shaft bearing on the older R3's can be a ticking time bomb

Back