Beengie

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket III, Suzuki Katana 750, Kawasaki Zepher 550, Honda CB750
Hello all,
I'm Tim from CA. Been riding for 23 years and bought a 2006 rocket III a few months back. It seems that the output bearing is going to fail on me soon from the noise. I am about to tackle the job in a month and a half or so. I'm gathering as much information as I can to complete the task in a timely manner once I start on it. I will post pictures (and maybe youtube videos) of the entire job to help out those who will be doing it in the future. Any help from those with experience doing this or other related tasks (engine teardown, driveshaft removal, things to look for, etc.) will help for sure. I think that I read on this forum that you are able to complete this project without removal of the engine from the frame. Anyways, howdy all and I'm happy to be a R3 owner now.

G'day and welcome. The manual will help.

Eyes down.

Thanks idk67 for the manual and the welcome.

Hey Tim Welcome!
What part of CA?

Thanks RKTNMYPKT for the welcome, I'm in Visalia

I have to admit that I LOVE this bike and the power. I'm looking forward to resolving this upgrade kit and getting back on the road. I will do the complete kit since the engine will end up with a teardown just to get to the bearing. 2nd gear hasn't failed me yet, but I know that will be on the list if I don't do it when I have the opportunity.

Does anyone know why the cam guides were part of the kit?

I will call the dealer today and find out if there are any kits left in the US... **fingers crossed**

Thanks for the links. I had seen the first one but not the second. Those help for sure. I have a question though. I don't see that the 2nd gear was replaced on these threads.

Are you able to get to the transmission to replace it without removal of the engine? It doesn't seem to be the case but I can't help but ask a stupid question.

Also, should I just get the bearing itself and replace that instead of doing the entire kit? It seems to be cheaper, but I am concerned that I will have the 2nd gear problem in the future and didn't take care of it when I had the bike apart.

It also seems that I remove the engine then I don't need to get the special tools for the drive hub removal. However, it causes a bit more work it seems.

Welcome!

Lawd I wish I had the mechanical chops to be completely nonchalant about tearing apart a bike I just bought.

Well, I used to be a CH46 helicopter mechanic, auto mechanic, lycoming and continental aircraft engine builder, and CNC machinist before becoming a mechanical engineer. I have worked on all of my cars and motorcycles along with other's. However, I did buy this bike to ride and not build but I do not want to lock up the rear end after hearing what seems to be a bearing going bad. I just don't want to go through the trouble of the bearing and then end up with a 2nd gear issue that I could have taken care of when I had it torn down pretty much anyways. :)

If it isn't jumping out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration then you are probably okay.

Back