Greetings from Atlantic Canada fellow Rocketists !

Dread_Specter

.020 Over
Hello everyone !
Just dropping by to say hi to all the fellow rocketists all around the globe.
I've joined the family this past saturday after a 32+ hour drive to pick up my Cardinal red beauty and am incredibly excited as I've just accomplished my biggest dream really in acquiring this most fascinating machine, which is if fact the very reason I got into motorbiking in the first place ! Yep, back in 04 when Triumph launched the Rocket III, I had absolutely no interest in motorbikes whatsoever, yet, when I saw it the very first time in picture, it captivated me with it's muscular line and balanced looks. Unfortunately, it was all but affordable for a person with my income so I traded my old volkswagen tdi for a bandit 1200, which I've been riding ever since. But 2 weeks ago, I saw my beauty listed on ebay, her owner, an ontarian living in florida, having unfortunately passed away (although he's not on the forum afaik, I give my condolences to Mr LaFrance's family again) and his step son auctioning it off for his estate. Having absolutely no clue as to how bidding worked, I failed miserably and lost the bid... but the reserve wasn't met and after few emails I organised to come and see it in person...and left with it after all!

I reckon that not many people have ever considered something perfection without ever seeing it, but it was my case with the R3. I had never ever seen one in real life yet, I knew it was the perfect motorbike. And I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw my R3. Pictures and videos don't do it justice, it is imposing, yet perfectly composed. And the sound, oh my bloody word, the sound ! I didn't know, but clearly, she has modified silencers (they look stock though) and I haven't a clue as to what they are. But it is by very very far, the best and most perfect sound of any engine anywhere on earth (and that comes from a guy who owned a 700hp inline six powered car, which is arguably one of the very best sounding engines ever.) I love it's size and I love it's perfect centre of gravity ( my bandit weighted half of it, yet, it was so high I couldn't touch the ground and lifting it off the stand took the greatest of efforts while the R3 is effortless so lift.

I'm thrilled by that acquisition which I thought would never happen ( they are excessively rare anywhere in Canada and go for 13+k (about 15k now for you US lads :p) which was out of my league for something you can only use 4 months a year here. Now I can't wait to take her out, unfortunately, it started snowing th day I came back and it hasn't stopped, we're headed towards a good metre of that white ****e as of now. What a let down from mother nature....

Anyways, I'm quite happy thus far and hope she goes as fine as the little I could try. The only quircks I have thus far are the malfunctioning neutral indicator and the fact that she stalls all the time on idle... I suspect it might be the close to year old fuel' but I really don't know know. I also know that there are outstanding recall(s). And I only which I knew what the silencers where....

Anyways that's my little story. I wish everyone here a great season and hope to see you on the roads ! Ride safe and have fun everyone!

Greetings from Downunder, where the sun is still shining even if the evenings are beinning to cool off. May your love affair blossom!

One happy Rocket Riding Canadian by the sound of it...ha ha. Good onya mate ... i smiled all the way through your story. Welcome from warm and sunny Brisbane.

Welcome from the Gold Coast, your pipes are most likely TOR's (Triumph Off Road Pipes), your TPS's (Throttle position sensor) could be your idle problem, and your gear sensor needs cleaning.

Sorry it is snowing where you are but spring should be coming around the corner. Welcome from Molino, FL and Afghanistan.

Dennis

114 dtg Dubai
115 dtg Home for good!

Really glad to read your take on it. It has been a while since I first picked mine up at the dealer. I smiled reading your description as I am sure that most of us will. You will get it sorted out in short order. Welcome to the machine.

from new brunswick ....hey.. welcome from an albertans currently in australia .. where snow seems such an mysterious byproduct of winter

Your story put a tear in my eye that is what the love of motorcycling is all about, if you had posted earlier about your plans I would have met you and went down with you(if you had wanted me to)
No doubt you will have a lot of questions to ask please feel free in doing so, I bought my bike in early 2005 and just turned 50000 trouble free miles on it.
One warning you do have the extra power silver engine you should maybe have started with the slow black engine but you will be fine.:D

Back