Greenish Liquid Leak Behind Engine (HELP)

Woody

Amazed
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Purchased 2005 R3 from a dealer two weeks ago. Dealer stated he had service records on this bike for 10 years. 31K miles. Absoltely love the bike. On the right side a liquid (appears to be coolent) leaks from somewhere behind motor near battery. Fluid flows down behind exhaust pipes.

Idk... I hope is a overflow hose or something . Most leaks I have seen on line are toward the front of the bike. I will post pics tomorrow.....any ideas?

Purchased 2005 R3 from a dealer two weeks ago. Dealer stated he had service records on this bike for 10 years. 31K miles. Absoltely love the bike. On the right side a liquid (appears to be coolent) leaks from somewhere behind motor near battery. Fluid flows down behind exhaust pipes.

Idk... I hope is a overflow hose or something . Most leaks I have seen on line are toward the front of the bike. I will post pics tomorrow.....any ideas?
At the back of the engine on the exhaust side there is a threaded plug that can leak.It is sealed with some type on hard sealer. This thing is a pain to get out ,I used a heat gun to help in the end.
I resealed it with pink plumbers thread tape 14 years ago and it's still fine

Last edited:
At the back of the engine on the exhaust side there is a threaded plug that can leak.It is sealed with some type on hard sealer. This thing is a pain to get out ,I used a heat gun to help in the end.
You Are Awesome. I noticed the plug last night and thought it could be leaking from the there. So I imagine you drained the coolant first before you tried to unscrew it?

Thank you very much for the feedback. I was worried it was really bad news coming.

on mine when it got hot it would send anti freeze out the over flow via hose and go to the ground just behind the motor. after a couple of times i decided to quit put any in the tank (reservoir) been fine for 10 years.
i suppose if that hose was gone then it would just come out over the back of motor

on mine when it got hot it would send anti freeze out the over flow via hose and go to the ground just behind the motor. after a couple of times i decided to quit put any in the tank (reservoir) been fine for 10 years.
i suppose if that hose was gone then it would just come out over the back of motor
Thank You Turbo

Did you have to drain the coolant first or can you remove the plug without draining?

Did you have to drain the coolant first or can you remove the plug without draining?
Yes you will have to drain atleast some of the coolant. The head is full when no leaks are present. The oem coolant overflow drain hose is down by the left rear of the engine. If it turns out to be the source then only two things I can think of one is the radistor cap is not holding pressire so your boil temp has dropped. The other has to do with forced air and boost pressure. Doesnt sound like your is built like that.

Back