Greasing the driveshaft splines

Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease. Is the latest and greatest shaft grease available. The most expensive but should last a life time from what I’m reading.

Honda 60 is no longer available.

Loctite LB 8012 (Loctite Moly Paste) Might be the best alternative and what I will probably use when I run out of Honda 60. Unless I hit the lottery then Krytox it will be!

It's painfully simple, just spread the grease on the splines. I once had a bike shop tell me that they should grease the splines because they knew just the exact amount to use. BS! The first time I pulled my rear Rocket wheel to get the tire changed, the splines were almost dry with a just a small amount of dry molly on it. I've done it myself since then.

I did my BMWs and my 07 Classic with the Honda 60 Moly because supposedly it had the highest level of molybdenum disulfide in it among the other moly greases available in bike shops. Just found this description:

"MOLY EP LITHIUM GREASE is a smooth textured high melting point, water resistant lithium base grease fortified with molybdenum disulfide (moly) to reduce wear by maintaining lubrication under conditions of high friction and shock loads."

I'll be looking for the Krytox next since the Honda 60 is no longer available.

2011_0914_192826.JPG

You know but any of the commercial moly's will work. It's not like we're all road racers. What is important is to grease the splines every time the rear wheel comes off and, like any other required service, the final drive will be fine.

Mucho years ago I bought my first BMW, a 1976 R90/6 from a military exchange British fighter pilot in Norfolk, VA . When I inspected the splines about six months later, they were near dry. Not knowing any better I used a copious amount of wheel bearing grease, which is what they used "back in the day" and it worked just fine. Later when I learned about moly I switched. Keep it greasy and all will be fine.

Hiya Mike I have researched a lot as well and the Rocol is the only stuff I could source in the UK that was any good ideas agree with the loctite but with shipping costs etc moved me to try the Rocol , as Navigator says as long as we keep it greasy :)

Back