ixtlan22

.020 Over
So, if all goes well, I'm moving toward picking my (new to me) R3T this week. :) While pondering this and getting back into riding, I was wondering how the Rocket 3 performs in gravel? Obviously, there's different types of gravel so I'll just leave it open. :rolleyes:

I had a Hardly once, and it did pretty good on gravel roads, (I think because it had a faily low center of gravity and I kept the speed up). My Valk on the other hand, not so good...I think it had to do with harder and narrower front tire and of course a higher center of gravity.

All bikes are different, and eveyone has a different technique....I'm interested in other rider's thoughts and experiences about riding on gravel roads or through construction zones with the R3.

Thanks

I live on a gravel road. The RIII with its fat rear tire does very well. There's probably a depth of gravel beyond which traversing is inadvisable for any two wheel vehicle, but you can usually see that coming. I've never had an issue, so I'd have to say the RIII excels.

For a big heavy bike, my R3T has an amazingly low center of gravity. I only had mine 2 weeks, and had only been riding less than 6 months, when I went to the Triumph Noreast rally. The website said something about non paved road in, I didn't give it much thought, holy sh#t, shale road down the side of a mountain, hairpin turn at the very bottom, my wife was following in her car, said she was sliding and scared, it handled it fine, the first time was the only time it was scary. Another guy on a Goldwing, a long time rider, and older, refused to come down a second time, parked and walked, LOL.

I've had mine through all kinds of crap roads and it has done very well. Just use the rear brake for most all of your braking duties and it should do great.

Here's a pic of my bike after several miles of wet red clay and gravel in Oklahoma.. lol Disclaimer: That's not my gut in the background!.. lol It's a rather large pic.. so I just posted the link..

http://www.dawnanddave.net/images/sparks07/8AA.JPG

I've had mine through all kinds of crap roads and it has done very well. Just use the rear brake for most all of your braking duties and it should do great.

Here's a pic of my bike after several miles of wet red clay and gravel in Oklahoma.. lol Disclaimer: That's not my gut in the background!.. lol It's a rather large pic.. so I just posted the link..

http://www.dawnanddave.net/images/sparks07/8AA.JPG
Nice T shirt Dave....;)

Once you get used to it it can be kinda fun. The wife doesn't like it thought , when she's on the back and I crack the throttle once in a while. I usually get the "swat to the back of the head". :D

Does the car tire help with the gravel and loose dirt? I would guess that it would going straight, how about ruts and plow piles? Does it grab those or just roll over them easily?

Back