Got one eye on it....

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
I have the stock Metzeler tyre on the front.It's the original tyre since i got the bike new and have done just over 8000kms on it.
The Metz is doing the normal wear on one side thing but it looks highly likely that i will be replacing it long before i replace the rear tyre which is a Bridgestone Exedra Max....
I'm thinking i might get 9000km-10000kms out of it but find it surprising that its wearing quicker than the rear....
I run 38lb in it. I'm finding myself searching for an alternative front and keep swinging back to the Avon from reading through these pages.
I know some of you guys get bloody huge mileage out of your tyres but not me.....

Mate - The tyre thing is really quite easy.

The Metz's are soft and if (like me) you tend NOT to throttle off for bends and actually lean over it is like abrading then with a sanding disk. They were listed (until Metzler USA withdrew the listing - Germany has never afaik listed the rim sizes) spec'd as optimal for 3.75" rim - not a 3.5". This is usually not a big issue plus/minus 1/4". Mine most certainly was NOT 150/80 fitted - was more a 143/90 - called a pinch fit. The Metz was designed as an H rated tyre - but does so well in the testing it can actually obtain a V rating. It would a be STUNNING tyre on something less like - well - a Rocket. I got 7700kms out of mine.

The Avon is spec'd for 3,5 rim - BUT they are NOT as grippy in the cold. This may or may not matter to you. I have had an Avon on and it too wore "cupped" But was a 150/80 fitted. It lasted LESS than the Metz as it improved my cornering speeds. Lasted about 6300kms. And this with (shock - horror) a CAR TYRE on the rear. Yes - High speed cornering on a square tyre - How dare I? - Lock up your daughters. This pre-dates the E-MAX availability in Europe. Otherwise I would have never known it works.

The E-Max is proving to be a spectacular tyre. Wearing evenly and remarkably slowly. I did put a but of a flat centre in it going to the UK and back, but it's back to rounded again.

NOW - I know this will make many cringe - but several of us tried using an MC rear tyre on the front. Avon had a good 140/80 Z rated called the AZARRO but is is discontinued. Some of us continue to run this way. Hedonists, heathens I know: I use a Bridgestone BT021 150/70 rear on the the front. I offer this as an option to consider. I know others have done even more extreme. This type of thing WAS commonplace on bikes with many tyres actually being bi (directional I mean). It is lasting like the E-Max - WAY more than expected.

The other option is to use marginally smaller width fronts and look for a higher speed rating. Metz do full Z rated 140/75R17 in Europe but it is NOT sold in the USA.

The only thing you REALLY need to watch - and @1olbull has the data: Messing with tyre sizes on ABS bikes. With the E-Max (which is oversize in profile) on the rear, I am sure you cant go down much in size at the front. I find this web as a usefull tool to feed in different tyre sizes to compare rolling radius etc Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World

When you replace it drop down from the 150 to the 140 and you will not believe how much better it handles. Like many others I love the Avon Cobra but also have tried the Michelin commander II and it does as well as the Avon but even better in the wet and also lasts a little longer, although it is a little more expensive than the Avon

Mate - The tyre thing is really quite easy.

The Metz's are soft and if (like me) you tend NOT to throttle off for bends and actually lean over it is like abrading then with a sanding disk. They were listed (until Metzler USA withdrew the listing - Germany has never afaik listed the rim sizes) spec'd as optimal for 3.75" rim - not a 3.5". This is usually not a big issue plus/minus 1/4". Mine most certainly was NOT 150/80 fitted - was more a 143/90 - called a pinch fit. The Metz was designed as an H rated tyre - but does so well in the testing it can actually obtain a V rating. It would a be STUNNING tyre on something less like - well - a Rocket. I got 7700kms out of mine.

The Avon is spec'd for 3,5 rim - BUT they are NOT as grippy in the cold. This may or may not matter to you. I have had an Avon on and it too wore "cupped" But was a 150/80 fitted. It lasted LESS than the Metz as it improved my cornering speeds. Lasted about 6300kms. And this with (shock - horror) a CAR TYRE on the rear. Yes - High speed cornering on a square tyre - How dare I? - Lock up your daughters. This pre-dates the E-MAX availability in Europe. Otherwise I would have never known it works.

The E-Max is proving to be a spectacular tyre. Wearing evenly and remarkably slowly. I did put a but of a flat centre in it going to the UK and back, but it's back to rounded again.

NOW - I know this will make many cringe - but several of us tried using an MC rear tyre on the front. Avon had a good 140/80 Z rated called the AZARRO but is is discontinued. Some of us continue to run this way. Hedonists, heathens I know: I use a Bridgestone BT021 150/70 rear on the the front. I offer this as an option to consider. I know others have done even more extreme. This type of thing WAS commonplace on bikes with many tyres actually being bi (directional I mean). It is lasting like the E-Max - WAY more than expected.

The other option is to use marginally smaller width fronts and look for a higher speed rating. Metz do full Z rated 140/75R17 in Europe but it is NOT sold in the USA.

The only thing you REALLY need to watch - and @1olbull has the data: Messing with tyre sizes on ABS bikes. With the E-Max (which is oversize in profile) on the rear, I am sure you cant go down much in size at the front. I find this web as a usefull tool to feed in different tyre sizes to compare rolling radius etc Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World
Great write up thx...I went with Cobras front and back...couldn’t believe the difference...confidence boosting stuff.

Great write up thx...I went with Cobras front and back...couldn’t believe the difference...confidence boosting stuff.
My pleasure -

Yup! you have a warm climate in Florida. The Cobras can however be a bit of an "experience" if used somewhere cooler - Say Bolton on a dark predawn run in late Feb. You can get them up to temp - and thy will retain heat once up, but getting them up there takes some courage on frost.

I was peeved when Avon dropped the Azarro - my first ride home after fitting - I had to ride through really foul weather - 1" water cross flowing downhill. I am wimp enough to admit I was **** scared but that tyre gripped. Actually I think it kept me upright. The Bridgestone is not quite as grippy when cold - but OK above frost-risk temperatures. Below 3°C and damp roads - I am extra cautious.

When you replace it drop down from the 150 to the 140 and you will not believe how much better it handles.
Agreed - though some of this (a lot really) has to do with the impact on the steering angle. An E-max rear and smaller front makes a HUGE difference to the effective front fork angle. The downside is that you really do need to address - not simply consider - the deficiencies in the OEM front suspension. Coz the beast is going to nose dive on braking. Again Mr @1olbull has the axle height data.

A 150/70R17 is the same radius as a 140/75R17 (on paper) but having a slightly wider tread with less profile keeps the disparity in widths twixt front an rear down so it tips into corners less (least-ways this is my understanding over the years). I have a much smoother roll over now. I know a 160 width front has been fitted - This would be even more roll-y as opposed to tip-y but would lessen the fork angle a bit and I am happier with a sharpish fork. I am NOT in the @Paul Bryant Tyre wear club, but my riding style is born of Italian Sports Chassis not Cruisers. But I suppose I could consider it when the BT021 wears out - which will be late summer.

Agreed - though some of this (a lot really) has to do with the impact on the steering angle. An E-max rear and smaller front makes a HUGE difference to the effective front fork angle. The downside is that you really do need to address - not simply consider - the deficiencies in the OEM front suspension. Coz the beast is going to nose dive on braking. Again Mr @1olbull has the axle height data.

True, I pair mine with the Exedra Max & Progressive front springs & rear shocks :thumbsup:

I'll throw it out there. Michelin Scorcher II (140) front and Bridgestone Exedra Max rear. Second time for this tire set up.

Great stuff thanx Barbagris....that's the kind of info i'm looking for...
Yesterday when i set off to go get my dyno done, it was -3c...F***en cold!...it had warmed to a 3c when i arrived an hour later!
Do you think it may be a tad cold for the Avon to be at it's best?...cheers

Back