Got my first speeding ticket... ouch!

Torque addict

Supercharged
Ride
'05 R3 w/Aerocharger turbo
Was out on Sunday testing a change I had just made to the turbocharger to actually lower the boost as low as it could go. I got on it in 1st gear in the wrong place at the wrong time and the next thing I know there's red and blue lights in my mirrors. First thing the cop says is the classic, “know how fast you were going?” Not knowing how much he saw I replied, “50” which is honestly what I noticed my speedo read when I shifted into second. He replies, “I got you at 72 on radar and this is a 35mph zone. That’s over double the limit, is reckless driving and I can arrest you right now. Do you want to be arrested or just the expensive ticket?” So I’m $298 poorer but glad my wife didn’t have to come bail me out of jail and then pay to go get the Rocket out of an impound yard. The guy cut me a break for which I’m thankful.

Now I know a lot of you captains are, let’s just say more mature and never see that needle go a tick over the posted limit ;) and I’m not looking for sympathy from anybody; just wanted to ***** a little, remind everyone to be mindful of your speed and if you do decide to get on it do it in a safe and as wide open place as possible. Cops are sneaky. Don’t know what this guy was hiding behind but he literally came out of nowhere. It can happen to you when you least expect it and getting a ticket sucks! I was only 1 month away from a clean record too (they drop after 3 years here).

I was in a bad spot to open it up and deserved this one. Guilty as charged. Leave it to me though, on my last ride of the season mind you, to adjust my bike to actually make it slower and then get a ticket. Oh the irony. There goes the money I could’ve spent on a boost controller.

Side note: This happened just up the street from where I’m smoking my tire there in my avatar. As I was getting written up I almost snapped a picture of the cop car with the red and blue lights flashing behind the Rocket (would have been a cool shot) but decided against it.

I was riding on the freeway (speed limit 75 mph) and decided to open it up so i was running real fast and was gaining on the traffic so i closed the throttle and then i seen the lights so like you "know how fast you were going" i was thinking 125 but i didn't say it then he said its probably hard to read the speedo at 107.
i was relieved thinking i am probably not going to jail. i told him i was taking the devil for a ride he said he could make this a criminal offence but he didn't and i am not sure he may have given me a break on the speed. because i am 69 years old he sparred me the lecture i guess he figured it was a waste of time.
driving school at $240 but the worst is going the speed limit is just plain boring.:(:(

Last ticket was 3 year ago and in recent times I have had to many near misses where I have just backed off only to find a speed trap around the corner, so I have been taking it a bit more steady this trip, hopefully I'll get home with a clean slate after just over 2,000km

I don't know what it's like a cross the pond but here in Scotland massive pressure is being put on the cops to bring in tickets for "priority offences".

Politicians and power hungry senior officers are doing their best to demolish the whole idea of policing by consent, it hammers a wedge between cops and the public.

Policing in Scotland is now very much a numbers game.

Both of you are lucky you didn't get the criminal version of the ticket!

I got tagged while decelerating with a closed throttle in 6th on my Datyona, coming down from 160mph just a bit earlier, and he got behind me after I had already come back to 10 over the limit (55mph limit). Pulled me over and asked the usual "how fast were you going", told him "65 last I looked" lol. He got me at 79 on the radar gun. As hes opening his door to get in his car and run my info for warrants etc, a van flys by and misses him by about 2 inches. Mind you, this is a road with 2 lanes in each direction and the lane further from him was totally empty, so no reason for the van not to get over. He runs back to me, hands me my license/papers and says "slow it down, im going to arrest that guy" lol.

Got off scott free :) In Georgia, where I was, It would have qualified for a super-speeder ticket, so ~$300.00 on top of the normal fee which would have been around $300.00, plus a misdemeanor on your record, plus court costs, plus driving school (paid for on your own dime). All told the SS tickets usually end up around $1000.00 plus a criminal record for going 21mph over any posted limit :/

Hawaii has the same law, so if you visit and rent a bike, anything 20 over anywhere, or more than 80 mph is a serious ticket. DO NOT speed in a rental car, they are heavily targeted.

Last edited:
You end up in jail rockethead?
resulted in a high speed chase that I was not aware they were chasing me... held at gun point on the side of the road, shutting down the whole highway... Had to show up in court... got it thrown out since the lawyer I used plays golf with the judge, verdict was entrapment...

Back