Got a Little Trophy

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
After seeing Billy's threads on his pending acquisition of a classic Triumph Bonneville, it occurred to me to post a pic of a trophy awarded at the Port Orchard annual Saint's Car Show. This year we had about 500 cars entered and quite a few motorcycles. Because my VFW post is one of the legacy sponsors for the show we always get allocated quite a bit of space for our booth and motorcycle entries. This year we had quite a few, to include vintage, classic, custom and stock bikes.

I rolled my old 1967 TR6C up into the back of my 1973 Ford F-100 the evening prior to the show and parked next to our booth. I did so only as a novelty and did not enter it in the show. Late in the morning though some of my VFW brothers intercepted me on my way back to our booth and told me that I needed to quickly enter the bike, that judges had been looking at it and were going to return. I did so and much to my surprise I received a trophy. It was competing with some very nice bikes, such as Harleys and Indians.

This was a Guantanamo Bay "crate find" back in the early 80s and was my primary rider for many years.
It just sits now because I can no longer kick it over.

Saint's Trophy.jpg

That I had the below description of the Trophy affixed to the truck's rear window resulted in a lot of interest in my old Triumph.

1967 650cc Triumph Trophy C Model

“Desert Sled”

The TR6B and TR6C were production machines built to a price for the general public, yet their fantastic record in America’s most grueling off road races ranks them among the world’s greatest purpose built bikes.

The B and C models hit the winners circle from the moment they were introduced into the US in the 50s. They were preferred because of the single carburetor, high pipes, and flip up foot pegs. In the 60s, when magnetos were abandoned, they used the 6V positive “earth” Energy Transfer ignition system. This unrestored Trophy still has the original ignition system.

Simply finishing the desert races in the 50s and 60s, such as the 150 mile Big Bear, the 500 mile Greenhorn Enduro and the 400+ mile Cactus Derby was an accomplishment. The TR6Cs did not disappoint. Such great off road racers as Bill Postel, Bud Ekins (Steve McQueen’s stunt double), Arvin Cox and Larry Hester all rode the TR6C “Trophybirds”.

Would love to breeze but the days of my riding vintage/classic Triumph twins is long gone because I'm not able to kick them over anymore. I'm not sure I'll be able to even with my new knees in the spring.

This Saturday, a buyer is coming over to purchase my entire inventory of vintage Triumph bikes and parts. The bikes are a 1947 Speed Twin and two TR6s, all basket cases. Along with them is a significant inventory of engine cases, tranniers new/used parts.

I just found this article about the TR6C on Silodrome.com, a website dedicated to the "Gasoline Culture", automobiles and bikes.

1960 Triumph TR6 Trophy - The Iconic Desert Sled

Back