Got a buddy thinking about getting a...?

Maelstrom

Supercharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic Tourer
I have a good friend that has been wanting to get a bike for a little while, he really likes my '07 Classic, but he thought the Rocket might be too much bike and like many people he wants that H-D logo on his bike. At one point he narrowed his search down to the H-D Fat Bob, the Triumph Thunderbird Storm (or Commander), or the H-D Breakout. Now this friend of mine is a pretty sharp guy, so he's already done a lot of research and is pretty well informed already. But being the good friend hat I am, I have given him some advice...Of course I was talking up the T-Bird, but I'm not a Triumph snob, so I told him the bottom line is that he should get what he wants. So imagine my surprise when he sends me a text with a pic of a 2014 Roadster today!?!? I said "are you serious?"...He's really considering it now. He's gonna make a decision soon, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

I have a good friend that has been wanting to get a bike for a little while, he really likes my '07 Classic, but he thought the Rocket might be too much bike and like many people he wants that H-D logo on his bike. At one point he narrowed his search down to the H-D Fat Bob, the Triumph Thunderbird Storm (or Commander), or the H-D Breakout. Now this friend of mine is a pretty sharp guy, so he's already done a lot of research and is pretty well informed already. But being the good friend hat I am, I have given him some advice...Of course I was talking up the T-Bird, but I'm not a Triumph snob, so I told him the bottom line is that he should get what he wants. So imagine my surprise when he sends me a text with a pic of a 2014 Roadster today!?!? I said "are you serious?"...He's really considering it now. He's gonna make a decision soon, but I guess I will have to wait and see.
I'be owned 3 Harleys. 2 Road Kings and a Dyna. The Rocket is every bit as managable as the Road Kings. Has he driven yours yet? Or is he not quite THAT good a friend? : )

Do him a favor. get him behind 3 or 4 Semi trucks in traffic. Then make the pass on the R3 and have him sit there on the RK. Tell him that's what his life will be on the Harley. Had 4 of them-I speak from experience. RK's are great for the interstate. Not so much other areas. As always YMMV.

For some, being part of the group matters. For others, not so much. Nothing wrong with HD (OK, the performance is not great), but the RIII is not difficult to ride and will be more fun. Your friend is headed in the right direction.

We trudge on.

I went to the Harley dealership with him today to pick it up. Several of the salesmen asked me if it was my Rocket parked outside. They seemed to be very interested, but stopped short of going to look at it. Probably would not look too good for them to spend time ogling at something other than H-D. While I was there, I looked around and I must say that Harley makes some beautiful machines. There were some really good looking paint schemes, but I have a real hard time imagining switching to H-D. Most of my friends always remark that my bike is too big for them, and all I could think is that all of the Harley models that I thought looked cool were too small for me. I would like to see Triumph take some cues from H-D...namely better chrome and paint quality...perhaps some quick release accessory options.

I went to the Harley dealership with him today to pick it up. Several of the salesmen asked me if it was my Rocket parked outside. They seemed to be very interested, but stopped short of going to look at it. Probably would not look too good for them to spend time ogling at something other than H-D. While I was there, I looked around and I must say that Harley makes some beautiful machines. There were some really good looking paint schemes, but I have a real hard time imagining switching to H-D. Most of my friends always remark that my bike is too big for them, and all I could think is that all of the Harley models that I thought looked cool were too small for me. I would like to see Triumph take some cues from H-D...namely better chrome and paint quality...perhaps some quick release accessory options.
You looking at hardleys???? Blasphemy!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I own both a rocket roadster and I have an Electra glide. They both serve their purpose. When its cold or raining I like the
Harley for protection from the elements. But nothing beats a rocket ride. I constantly break all the Harley guys balls. They are always afraid to test ride my rocket. I tell them if you ride the rocket you will junk that P O S HD

Last edited:
Back