Good People in this world

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Well, this morning I took my new to me 05 Rocket to the Diner for breakfast. I had the gas tank off, and apart to change the filter. Filled it up when finished, and rode around a bit. Low fuel light came on yesterday, and I thought way too soon, probably bent the float rod when installing. No, ran out of gas on way back from Diner. Called my trusty old neighbor to bring me some gas, and while waiting, a couple of nice young men passed me in a van, turned around, came back and asked if I needed help. I said I was outta gas. They said "we got some", and retrieved a 2 gal can from their van. I dumped half of it in the bike, and when I offered to pay them, they wouldn't take a cent! They said Merry Christmas, and waited till I got started. Did a lot to restore my faith in humanity!:);):);):)

I've noticed that being on the Rocket usually brings out the good in most people.
Same thing happened to me MANY MANY years ago - on a Honda 125. Taxi driver filled my tank for me. He refused payment and said one day you'll help somebody else. 40 years on - it still sits in my head.

On one of my previous bikes, I was doing some work so had the petcock turned off. Said petcock was up inside the frame tunnel of the gas tank... out of sight, out of mind.

Finished working on the bike and went for a test ride. The bike shut down and would not start. As I am pushing, a nice lady in a very tall pickup pulls up and asks if I need gas and such, so I tell her "no, it's full" and she offers to follow behind me while I push home. It's about 2 miles, up a freeway feeder in 90 degree Houston heat. Once I get the bike less than 1/4 mile from home, I realized what I forgot. Reached under the tank, spun the petcock to On, switched over the key, let the fuel pump fill the lines and injectors, hit the button and off I went. I was so pissed at myself and thankful the kind lady and her truck protected my for 1.75 miles.

There is kindness out there, but it seems to be getting farther and farther between instances of it.

I am from the old school. I always pull over for bikers. When I am in my cage I find myself blocking for them in heavy traffic. Hell I even carry an SAE tool kit.

Funny thing anymore is how many I pull over for are on their cell phones and not needing assistance, but a thumbs up is all I need.

Brings to mind a not-so-good Samaritan experience I had some years ago . . .
Riding home from a Blue Knight event, a throttle cable broke on me out on a very rural highway.
Was a hot day so I removed my leather jacket and colors, hanging them over the left bar end and went about digging for tool requisite a MacGyver repair.
Some minutes later I heard the unmistakable rumble of a pack of Harley approaching.
I watched with curiosity as about a dozen Banditos, riding side by side came towards me.
The leader began to pull left and turn off onto the wide shoulder where I was sitting.
When he got to within 10 feet of my position, he saw my colors and then excitedly yelled back to his amigos, COP! COP! COP! while he executed a quick right turn back onto the roadway.
Our eyes locked. I watched the startlement on the leader's face as he watched me laughing my arse off!

Brings to mind a not-so-good Samaritan experience I had some years ago . . .
Riding home from a Blue Knight event, a throttle cable broke on me out on a very rural highway.
Was a hot day so I removed my leather jacket and colors, hanging them over the left bar end and went about digging for tool requisite a MacGyver repair.
Some minutes later I heard the unmistakable rumble of a pack of Harley approaching.
I watched with curiosity as about a dozen Banditos, riding side by side came towards me.
The leader began to pull left and turn off onto the wide shoulder where I was sitting.
When he got to within 10 feet of my position, he saw my colors and then excitedly yelled back to his amigos, COP! COP! COP! while he executed a quick right turn back onto the roadway.
Our eyes locked. I watched the startlement on the leader's face as he watched me laughing my arse off!

446b66cc4caeb62c133cd3f95bd96c84.jpg

Back