Going price used 2005 rockets?

RidinSunshine

Turbocharged
Anyone know going price on 2005 rockets? My bearman is looking to sell his. I think has 41000 miles on it. Has the Corbin bags and fairing and jardine pipes. He is worried about back problems and such and has talked himself into a trike. But only way he can afford it is to sell the rocket.

I was already thinking I might trike it in about 2 - 3 years. Only because I have to get mine paid off and pay off some shopping cards. I still have 16 months payments on mine. But he has found a really cool trike called cheetah trike. I am almost thinking of selling mine too. My rocket only has 25000 miles on it.

Anyway just checking to see if anyone knows the market on them.

If you tell me encouraging info I will have them listed in classified section here. If he trades his in for something we will have his accessories listed here. Because he won't get any higher trade in with them on. He has also been looking at getting the boss hoss trike but the cheetah is cheaper.

I'm not sure about an 05, but keep in mind you can buy leftover *new* 09s for 10K-11K. That won't help anyone trying to sell older bikes. Heck, I sold my 08 R3T with 8800 miles for 12K.

Thank you
a couple of months ago I did mine on kelly and was thinking I could get $12000 for mine. And the my bear was looking to see on eBay what he could get and it was a lot less. I was thinking if we looked in the right place we could get better than eBay.

Of course, I hope you get every penny you want out of your bikes. That said, I have to be frank and tell you I'd be shocked beyond belief if you got anywhere near 12K for either bike. Another problem you have, besides there being leftover new bikes at very low prices, is the mileage. You ride your bikes (what a concept). I do too (really, I do) when I get settled into a bike I really love, which I think I'm at now. I put 28K in two years on my old Heritage Softail. I just didn't care for my Street Bob or Rocket III Touring enough to want to ride them that much. Thus, I didn't keep either long enough to get that many miles. I digress. The problem with selling a bike with miles is there are countless (especially Harleys) bikes that are 3-5 years old with less than 5K miles on them. Get this, a buddy of mine found a 08 Tiger 1050 Non-ABS (I have an 09 with ABS) that is MINT, as in can't tell it from a brand new bike. Why does it look so good? It has 977 miles on it. He bought it on the spot. It's hard to compete with those bikes when yours has 25K and the other one sitting at 40K. The only way to do it is to cut your price enough to make yours more attractive.

Here are a couple of things you can do to really help yourself (I also flip bikes):

- Detail, detail, detail! Put the mother of all cleanings on the bike. A SUPER CLEAN bike will gain hundreds. A mediocre or dirty bike will cost you hundreds.

- Strip the accessories and sell them separately. You'll get pennies on the dollar if you sell them with the bike. You'll get 50-75% of retail if you sell them separately.

- If at all possible, have a clear title in hand. This is something I ALWAYS do. I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to finance bikes. That said, I understand not everyone is in that position. It really helps when selling, however, if you can swing it.

- Most important, price the bike right. This means knowing the local market and also knowing what a bank will loan on the bike. Most folks don't have 10K cash laying around so they can only spend what a bank will loan on the bike. You'll have a hard time selling the bike if your pricing isn't in line with that figure.

Hope this helps and if you already know these things, then just ignore me. It's not wasted typing on my part. It's helped to wind me down so I can go to sleep. It worked too because I'm off to bed now! :D

I am a former dealer myself and I fully concer with RocketDaryl. This is great advice that takes years of experience to gain when it comes to selling bikes.

Good job. Should be a sticky.

Big T

Thank you
a couple of months ago I did mine on kelly and was thinking I could get $12000 for mine. And the my bear was looking to see on eBay what he could get and it was a lot less. I was thinking if we looked in the right place we could get better than eBay.

You can try the consignment market as well if you can find a dealer willing.

I recently went into a Harley dealer to look at some Dynas since I'm tired of how heavy my fat pig 2005 Rocket is. None of the Dyna models are set up right to be as comfortable as I have my Rocket.

Anyway, the sales guy went into the manager guy, who looked like he just came out of a biker bar, and asked how much he would give for a 2005 Rocket with 16K miles in trade. The guy say's "Who makes those?". Good joke.

He looked it up and said $6800.

I just looked on e-bay. It's pretty discouraging. A 2009 R3 with 8 miles is listing for $13K.

On our local Craig's list, a 2007 Classic w/ 5775 mi is asking $10795 and a 2008 Touring w/12K mi is asking $11900.

Last edited:
why doesn't he look at some trike kits for his rocket? There is a couple of them out there. I use to ride a trike myself but not enough power. A rocket would be the only way to go or a goldwing (ouch I didn't just say goldwing, lol).

Back