Glowing Lights...

Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
I changed out my headlight to a led bulb. It works fine. I added to led spot lights on the aux. switch. When I shut the key off, I have a very low glow on the spot lights. Kind of a voltage leak. I have heard of putting a resistor in the circuit. I'm going brain dead on how this works and were to wire it in. Any help will be appreciated!

Sorry for the terrible English. What I so poorly wrote, Two (2) LED fisheye spotlights glowing with the power off. I have been told that I need more resistance in the circuit. If that is true, where do I wire in the resistor?

First question is can you identify the actual lamps you used and whether they came with any connections beyond just plus & minus input.
Next, how did you wire these up - they should have been through a relay off the aux connector, which would completely isolate them.
Did you connect these directly to the OEM connector or ???
Last question is how you grounded them.

First question is can you identify the actual lamps you used and whether they came with any connections beyond just plus & minus input.
Next, how did you wire these up - they should have been through a relay off the aux connector, which would completely isolate them.
Did you connect these directly to the OEM connector or ???
Last question is how you grounded them.
Thanks for helping.
1) the LED for the headlight is a standard 3 prong plug. I believe it has the same as OEM. Ground,high,low
2) the led 4 1/2 are ground and hot. Same as OEM?
3). The fish eye spot lights are 2 wire same as the 4 1/2", hot and ground .
4). I used existing hookups foe the standard size fixtures, the fish eyes I just wired them into the hot and ground off the aux.switch. Same as the 4 1/2"
5). All lights work, on off. Brights on the headlamp. If I turn off the aux lamp switch the glow goes away. I haven't checked voltage with the key switch and aux.switch both off. No lights, no pwr right?

4). I used existing hookups foe the standard size fixtures, the fish eyes I just wired them into the hot and ground off the aux.switch. Same as the 4 1/2"
5).... If I turn off the aux lamp switch the glow goes away.

The OEM Aux lights do NOT power directly off the aux switch - they power from the OEM relay which is located behind the steering head
Your problem should be resolved if you just wire the LEDs in parallel with your OEM aux lights (which I presume is your functional purpose anyway, so they go on/off with the aux switch in concert with the OEM aux lights)
i.e connect you plus and minus to the plus & minus going to the actual lamps

This is how the OEM Aux lights are connected

Aux_lights_wiring.jpg

* See the note about the OEM connector (item 58) on Factory Wiring Schematic - the factory drawing is in error, shows two connector and the ground is missing; it should be as shown, three way connector with the Ground Wire.

Also - I am not 100% on the wire colours between the connector and the relay but the interconnect is correct.

The OEM Aux lights do NOT power directly off the aux switch - they power from the OEM relay which is located behind the steering head
Your problem should be resolved if you just wire the LEDs in parallel with your OEM aux lights (which I presume is your functional purpose anyway, so they go on/off with the aux switch in concert with the OEM aux lights)
i.e connect you plus and minus to the plus & minus going to the actual lamps
Thank you for the wiring help. I will make the change tomorrow morning.

A guess at what I think is happening is that your 5.75" LED lamp has some capacitance in the power supply; when you turn off the ignition there is no discharge path, other than through those aux LEDs;
When you connect them to the output side of the relay (like the OEM aux lamps) the circuit will be broken by the relay when the ignition is turned off;
and even if it wasn't, just having them in parallel with the incandescent aux lights would provide a low impedance path to ground anyway.

I suspect if you were just to unplug your 5.75" LED (or even temporarily refit the incandescent) the problem would not be there.
But wiring as suggested will definitely eliminate the problem.

When I switched Headlight and auxiliaries to LED I was able to acquire kits that had the H4 (Headlight) and H3 (Aux) connectors. No additional wiring necessary. The H4 bulb has a a little fan attached, but it gets power from the headlight connector, and there is no place for extra current to leak in, for the bike sees what it saw before, only pulling fewer watts.

Back