freshprince

Livin'
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT, 1978 T140V
Added the Givi trunk to complete the travel kit/luggage for the GT. I ordered the Givi Trunk, along with backrest and the mounting plate. This was attached to the factory tail rack accessory that I recently purchased from Triumph.

The mounting plate for the Givi was real easy to accomodate to the Triumph tail rack. I used most of the mounting bolts and fasteners that came with it, and had to drill three holes of my own through the Tail Rack kit. I like how the whole kit comes together. This particular Givi trunk perfectly flows with the look of the GT in my opinion. The backrest lines up perfectly with the sissy bar. And as far as weight goes, factory says limit rear rack to like 6lb or so but this rig is rock solid, I can lean a lot of weight on the trunk. Even though the Givi plate extends past the factory rack it bolts in nicely and stays secure. I think it looks real nice, and it is an exceptional quality piece of equipment.

So we're now ready to travel! Got about 26 gallons of storage now. More to come on the travels.

What I like about the whole setup, is its all key operated quick release the panniers and the trunk. I know folks are saying the panniers are not water-resistant so I guess i'll have to live with that but still like the way they set up.

Also note: Airhawk saddle topper. I have adjusted my footpegs to the max forward position which creates more strain on the ol' vertebrae so that little cushion is great for an aging dutchman.

I am still thinking about getting the upper license plate mount kit from Lamonster, but I gotta figure out if my trunk will be in the way for the tail lights. I like brake lights to be visible!! giving that some more thought.

Will

Attachments

• bags-trunk.jpg
    bags-trunk.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 519
  • bags-trunk2.jpg
    bags-trunk2.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 528
  • trunkmount.jpg
    trunkmount.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 487
  • trunkmount2.jpg
    trunkmount2.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 438
  • trunkmount3.jpg
    trunkmount3.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 454
Nicely done. Wondering how stable that OEM rack/backrest interface is. I am hoping someone will produce a replacement for that OEM backrest assembly that is more purpose built for the trunk.

Nicely done. Wondering how stable that OEM rack/backrest interface is. I am hoping someone will produce a replacement for that OEM backrest assembly that is more purpose built for the trunk.
So far so good. My wife/passenger likes it a lot. I have been putting groceries and errand things in to it. I don't notice any bending, cracking,warping or anything. I picked up a 20-lb bag of charcoal the other day and threw it in there.

I was concerned that the rack wasn't long enough or big enough to fully support the larger Givi , but the Givi mounting plate is very sturdy and when I got it bolted on to the tail rack it has become pretty solid.

Also.. Jay.. check out Lamonster on the site, he's been doing some fab work creating larger tail racks and some other cool things.

OEM rack gives 3 kg rating, have you made an improvement over it or directly fixed the givi rack?
I was thinking of buying a soft GIVI bag to fix by straps but I was thinking about that 3 kgs. and also no points at all to fix the bag.

OEM rack gives 3 kg rating, have you made an improvement over it or directly fixed the givi rack?
I was thinking of buying a soft GIVI bag to fix by straps but I was thinking about that 3 kgs. and also no points at all to fix the bag.
so far i have just connected the givi to the OEM rack. The givi has a hard plastic quick release base (separate) for the trunk. I had to drill three holes in the OEM rack and used bolts. I have not done anything additional for the structure, just been running it like that and it holds up. I think I can put up to 20lbs in the trunk and it will hold up. I'm just using it, its been holding up. If I need more structure I'll figure it out over time but so far it holds above and beyond the weight rating, which is basically useless and the purpose of the rating is probably for liability. But I keep an eye on how it performs. As I mentioned above there's a guy on the site who has built a more structural tail rack I might upgrade to.

so far i have just connected the givi to the OEM rack. The givi has a hard plastic quick release base (separate) for the trunk. I had to drill three holes in the OEM rack and used bolts. I have not done anything additional for the structure, just been running it like that and it holds up. I think I can put up to 20lbs in the trunk and it will hold up. I'm just using it, its been holding up. If I need more structure I'll figure it out over time but so far it holds above and beyond the weight rating, which is basically useless and the purpose of the rating is probably for liability. But I keep an eye on how it performs. As I mentioned above there's a guy on the site who has built a more structural tail rack I might upgrade to.
thanks a lot for the feedback
:)

let me know what you come up with.
Honestly, I am only considering securing 20 25 lt. Givi duffle on the OE rack. Saying this, I keep on thinking how to connect the straps. I used to ride the tall adv bikes, I had lots of strong points where I coild connect the straps, this bike simply doesn't have mAny options. :-((

Back