GIPRO plug in gear position indicator problem

Brian Bracken

Brakster
Ride
06 Rocket 111
have just fitted Model GPDS-T01 the installation is simply plug into diagnostics plug and supply a switched 12v+ when ignition is on
Set up involves putting bike into first gear and as display flashes 1 wait for it to change to 2 and change gear to second then wait till flashes 3 and change to third obviously the device is memorising information from CPU ,my problem is it only flashes 1 no matter what gear i am in has any member had a similar problem or aware of a solution
brakster

I had to wire mine in, a while back now, though it self learnt the gear settings. I would have to read the install instructions to be 100% certain on that.

I'm pretty sure the correct one for Rocket needs to be wired into the Gear Position Sensor - certainly the one with the ATRE built in. On some other models, I think mostly those with 865 engines, it does just plug into the diagnostic plug, but not on the Rocket. Are you sure you have the right unit?

PUT YOUR BIKE YEAR/MODEL UNDER YOUR AVATAR. IT MATTERS. Unrestricted models have no need for the ATRE function.

Yep, shows all gears and neutral, has the 3 settings or choose to just use as gear indicator

I installed the GiPro with ATRE and I didn't have to program it. It was already setup as per the instructions. They did mention if for some reason if the gears aren't indicated properly you can go through the steps you are doing to make it learn. Sorry I can't help. Why did you choose that model instead of the ATRE model?

Just a thought on the learning process. You are riding the bike while you do that, aren't you? You ride in 1st with 1 flashing then change to second when 2 flashes etc. it won't work if the bike is stationary.

Just a thought on the learning process. You are riding the bike while you do that, aren't you? You ride in 1st with 1 flashing then change to second when 2 flashes etc. it won't work if the bike is stationary.

That is incorrect information unless the mfr. dramatically changed those units and their instructions. If he has the right unit and it's plugged into the right port (on my '07 that was under the LH Sidecover), he should be able to program the unit with the key on and the motor off.

Brian, my recommendation is to verify that you have the correct unit, that it is wired in properly and then, if things aren't sorting out, call the manufacturer to see if they can help you troubleshoot the problem. Years ago when I organized a group purchase for the GIPro w/ ATRE for some 6 dozen members here and over on R3Owners.com, there were 2 defective units rec'd which the company made good on by replacing them with NIB units.:thumbsup: For your reference: GIpro DS-series

Back