Getting Closer to the purchase.

bullsco

last winter after a fresh snow fall
Ride
Suzuki Boulevard
Getting Closer to the purchase - longevity

Hi Forum dwellers. May I offer I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum :) over the last year (although I've just recently signed up). I've been budgeting and saving for a while since I've purchased my last ride (Suzuki C50) and am looking to step up to a larger cruiser/tourer. As I'm a tall, heavy guy, the regular "baggers" are too small or uncomfortable. I'm focusing on the R3T or the C109, dress it up and I'm off to the races. (figuratively speaking of course) :rolleyes:

Aside from the obvious differences between the bikes, I'm having no small amount of difficulty not only deciding as both are great bikes in their own right. One priority for me however is the longevity/dependability of the ride. I'm somewhat familiar with the Suzuki as my present '06 model I bought new now has 80 000 kms and it runs like the day it came out of the store without a lick of trouble. I might have to do a preventative piston and ring job at some point as I know all bikes eventually need "help" but I'm hopeful that won't be required till around the 130 000 to 160 000 km mark.

I'm asking, in your experience, which bike would better take the higher touring miles. I intend on putting some serious miles on my next bike and want something dependable. I know there are many variables like riding style and maintenance however those types of variables being equal, I'm wondering if a few of you can offer a few gems from your experience.

Any advice or helpful comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Not sure if this helps, but if I was looking for something to clock up big miles it would probably be between these 2. But the Rocket would win hands down because it's got more of everything and gives more of everything. As for longevity; take your chances. Even the most reliable type of bike in the world will have examples of failures, and the worst bike will have examples of trouble free riding. But if you're asking which one will break the bank as well as your heart, why not price things like engine and gearbox rebuilds/replacement. Running costs would be pretty even I imagine. Buy the one that will be the most satisfying I reckon.

Also service intervals on the R3 are 15,000klms - Dont know about the 109?

I think the R3 is in a league of its own as a bagger and I dont believe there is a comparable bagger out there... so you either want one or ya don't..

In my case I didn't realy want an R3 I was looking for something totally different, but every time we went to the dealer Saori my wife always stood looking at the R3.

Finally we went for a test ride 2up and that was the end of looking for a bike... I never regretted buying it and I never complain about the the odd finacial pain it gives me. :D

It's part of the family now..:cool:

I think the R3 is in a league of its own as a bagger and I dont believe there is a comparable bagger out there... so you either want one or ya don't..

In my case I didn't realy want an R3 I was looking for something totally different, but every time we went to the dealer Saori my wife always stood looking at the R3.

Finally we went for a test ride 2up and that was the end of looking for a bike... I never regretted buying it and I never complain about the the odd finacial pain it gives me. :D

It's part of the family now..:cool:

Id never seen one before or even heard of one for that matter.
A bloke at work came in with one i had a pissy little Honda shadow vt750 at the time and as soon as i seen the rocket i thought **** that thing is ugly i hated it but couldnt stop looking at how **** big it was and the size of the engine.
Anyway it started to grow on me and i liked the way it wasnt all streamline like everysingle vtwin on the plannet trying to be a harley .then the bloke let me get on it and start it up and as soon as i reved it and felt the engine pull on the mounts i said thats it i must have one except it wont be this extremly gay dog *****red colour :D and i went and got a magnificent black bastard a few days later :cool:

i must have one, except it wont be this extremly gay dog *****red colour :D
and i went and got a magnificent black bastard a few days later.

Loved that part.

Yeah yeah, I knew you would. Ha bloody ha, young Mitch. At least it's a better colour than yours will be on 15 september - or is now for that matter. :D

Back