Gears won't shift.

cskals

.040 Over
Ride
R3 standard 2005
Hi guys.
Got a Classic 2005 with 42000 miles on it.
I've run into a problem with my gears.
Sometimes it doesn't switch gear when I try to.
It just stays in the same gear, kinda annoying to say the least.
Anybody knows what can cause this?
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it could be the detent spring not hard to fix if you are ok on the spanners

might try some new oil?
there r a few that has switched to motul oil and have said that it shifted better. i notice that on mine every once and a while i go to shift and it does not want to shift and i usually change mine every 5000.

Is it UP/Down shift or just downshift?

Make sure your clutch is properly adjusted, could be all in my head but it worked for me up until now.

No that you mention it, it's mostly up-shift. 90 % of the missing shifts is up.
You think this could be an adjustment issue?

might try some new oil?
there r a few that has switched to motul oil and have said that it shifted better. i notice that on mine every once and a while i go to shift and it does not want to shift and i usually change mine every 5000.

Hm, I use Castrol 5W-40 which I see as the best oil out there. I'm probably wrong :rolleyes: Wouldn't be the first. I might try Motul next time.

Does the shift lever move the normal amount and it doesn't change gears, or the does the shift lever feel like it's binding ? Your description was a little vague.

It has full ROM :)
It moves freely :)
It's very loud when it finally shift gear :(
Especially 1st gear is very clonky :eek:
I feel no difference between cold and warm engine :)

Is there any other information that could help?

5/40 ? The manual states 10/40 4T oil ,
Others use 15 /40 or even 15/50 depending on outside temp ?
I would expect problems with a 5 weight oil !
Get the correct oil in her , ensure the clutch is adjusted correctly and then see how she shifts . First gear is always clunky anything over bout 5 mph !

Back