David Towe

Standard Bore
Ride
2008 Classic
On the ride last weekend I encountered my first ever mechanical issue whilst on a ride. The gear lever feels different and it's harder than usual to select gears and it now jumps out of gears when there is no load on the motor. Does anyone have any ideas what it is and how to fix it? 2008 R3C
Thanks in advance,
David

Sounds like a text book case, as the lads have mentioned already. Give it two weeks on parts, and a day to do the work. Read through the manual a few times before turning a wrench. The short of it is:

Radiator drain via top waterpump bolt
Remove Radiator
Remove Waterpump output hose
Disconnect Clutch cable
Remove oil filter
remove front cover
remove clutch pack and basket
replace spring

At a minimum you'll need a new clutch nut, gasket, and spring, not terribly expensive to fix. Read the manual though, there are small nuanced things in there.

David, As other have said.. it sounds like the detent spring........... you could also check out @idk signature as he has links to detent spring replacement as well as workshop manuals etc

Sounds like a text book case, as the lads have mentioned already. Give it two weeks on parts, and a day to do the work. Read through the manual a few times before turning a wrench. The short of it is:

Remove Radiator
Disconnect Clutch cable
Remove oil filter
remove front cover
replace spring

At a minimum you'll need a new clutch nut, gasket, and spring, not terribly expensive to fix. Read the manual though, there are small nuanced things in there.
I think I'll send it to the professionals.

Remove Radiator
Disconnect Clutch cable
Remove oil filter
remove front cover
replace spring

Is there one ‘go to’ manual ? I don’t have one...

It is a relatively simple job with minimal tools required. Don't even need to take the bike off its side stand...4 hr job start to finish for a beginner I'd reckon

Back