Gear Shift Lever Armature

Maelstrom

Supercharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic Tourer
The foam rubber washers on my gear shift lever armature rotted out...dust and debris was starting to get inside the socket housings on both ends thereby making my shifting considerably less smooth as it should be.
In the effort of keeping everything on my bike genuine Triumph parts, I went to a local Triumph dealer to see about replacing them. The tech looked and looked in his computer system, but couldn't find them. He told me I would have to order the entire armature which would come with new washers. It wasn't terribly expensive, so I went ahead and ordered it to be delivered to my house.
When it was delivered, it did not come with the washers...I took the part back to the dealer and got refunded then decided to figure the situation out myself.
So I went to the local Home Depot and found some rubber washers in the plumbing section

I disassembled the armature and cleaned the ball/socket joints as best as I could, then I lubricated them. I bored out the holes in the center of the washers to make them wide enough to fit around the armature. On my first attempt, I cut the washers so I could open them and fit them around the armature. This seemed to work, but after a quick spin around the block, one of the washers worked its way out and fell off. So on my second attempt, I boiled 2 other washers...the heat made them pliable enough to stretch over the housing and I fit them into place.
IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

The washers are a very tight fit, so they should keep dust and debris out of the socket housings. Will have to see if they will last...

Last edited:
@Maelstrom , I was just referencing this again tonight while at Home Depot. They finally had the package in stock at the same time I happened to be in the store. Thanks again for posting this. I have to say though, your hands are too nice for a Rocket rider :p you could audition for QVC.

Back