gear position sensor replacement

r3Bob

.020 Over
Is there any special steps after replacing the gear position sensor?
It all started because my neutral light does not come on. When in neutral and the engine running the light does not come on and as soon as I put the kick stand down the engine stops running.
The dealership said the GPS was bad and I bought a new one and replaced it myself.
My neutral light still does not come on.
Any suggestions?

Just a wild ass guess here, but did you check that the bulb is good? Does the bulb need to be good to complete the circuit? Don't laugh, I've read Triumph requires good headlights for the bike to start, so it could happen.

Yes, the light does work when the key is first turned on.
I will check out the other suggestions later when I get home.
Thanks All!

How hard is the plunger change? I have checked continuity of the gps unit and it seems to be good. I moved the unit around and cleaned it and still did not get it to respond/work.
The nib on the plunger seemed to be worn.
I did learn that you cannot get the old unit wiring out without removing the wires from the casing that attaches to the main harness.
Bob

Triumph done mine under warranty, they try'd just the sensor first, like yours flickering or nothing at all..
I did take a look at the plunger before taking it triumph, but the thing was seized in solid could'nt remove it at all, so instead of a "get out of warranty" claim i left it alone, and played dumb..
It took them most of the day to remove it, i know they had to heat it "red hot" to get the thing out..A new one was replaced with a spring aswell, all ok now..What did'nt make sense was the bike was 13months old..:-?

Well, the dealership pro called me back and said to bring the bike in to evaluate something else. I'll bet it is the plunger. Problem is my bike is an '07 with 30K miles.
The guy did say he has never seen this problem.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Okay, here is what the dealership found:
On the plunger shaft is a hole wherein fits a nib with a spring providing pressure to the nib to keep it against the gear position sensor. This nib was stuck inside the hole of the plunger, like it overheated and did not function properly. The guy at the shop had to drill out the nib and manufactured something to replace it since they did not have the part on hand. It works now.
They said that at sometime the bike got so hot that this piece 'welded' itself to the plunger, preventing the contact to the sensor.
They did not charge me full labor price for the work.
It seems to ride better now.
I will now be able to Iron Butt it to Seattle on Wednesday to meet my son and ride with him and his new Vrod. Kids, what can you do with them.......
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back