Gear Position Sensor cactus?

Mike188

Living Legend
Ride
Matt Black 2012 R3R
OK, all the information about the Beast is in my signature: so out for a ride this morning with the local Triumph club, on the way to meet up I noticed that the gear position on the taco was reading 5 in 5th but when changing down stayed in 5 on the readout for a few seconds before reading 4th, or if I had already changed down to 3rd it would switch straight to 3, so figured I would keep an eye on it.
Have a cuppa and chat then head off on the ride, 1/2 hour in notice its reading 6 on the readout when in top, and down to 5 when in 4th. bit further on readout is all over the show flicking between 1 and 6 mainly, still a bit further and readout on gauges is 1 regardless of gear I am in, and engine warning light comes on (no lose of performance etc), had to do about 15-20km to next stop. Once there checked all the fuses (apart from 30amp) were good and pushed home, engine light still on so left the ride and came home (another 12km, gear readout still everywhere). So get home read the manual which tells me FA, then decide to check the 30amp fuse (had given it a visual and could see it was good), pulled, checked and replaced it........... engine warning light now off, gear position readout still appears off when running through the gears in the shed.

So I am thinking the GPS is knackered or at least on the way out, so bike into the stealer for a warranty claim in the morning...... or am I barking up the wrong tree?

The gear position sensor is this little black gizzy right here with the wire coming out of it. Not much to it really. There is a spindle that is operated by the shift drum. It has a little spring and a rounded pin that contacts different spots in the sensor. Sounds like maybe it fell apart inside.
GPS.png

Mike, the GPS can get kruddy inside. Mine had water in it one time. Pull it off and give it all a good clean. Pull the little plunger out (careful with the spring) and give it a good clean. I even roughed it up a bit with wet and dry. Also check the o ring - put a little grease on it if need be. You might find that fixes it.

Mike, the GPS can get kruddy inside. Mine had water in it one time. Pull it off and give it all a good clean. Pull the little plunger out (careful with the spring) and give it a good clean. I even roughed it up a bit with wet and dry. Also check the o ring - put a little grease on it if need be. You might find that fixes it.
Thinking bout that, but as bike is still under warranty thinking I may go that route

well had a look, got as far as trying to remove the top bolt, not enough room to get it out without dropping the exhaust............warranty here I come....................sheesh at least I wasnt 1/2 way down the ocean road

Removed, cleaned, no noticeable improvement, guess its off to Peter Stevens in the morning; ok so just tested it in the shed for this result, decided to take for a run, and seems to be doing what its ment to do, so instead of going into the stealer in the am (45km) I will just ring them................no doubt they will want to see the bike but at lest this way it wont just be dropped on them............................it seems to be a common problem so hopefully they will have a GPS in stock.................

Last edited:
And have they changed the GPS design, mine looked nothing like the pics I found in one of the threads..............or maybe I didnt pull it apart enough

Should be the same. Was going to say I was surprised you needed to pull off the exhaust, although I see you worked out that it's only the cover. Most I ever had to do was loosen the 2 front hex head bolts; not take it off altogether.

Took the beast into PS this morning, they checked the codes and sure enough there was a historical code for the GPS, so they don't have one in stock in Adelaide, but do in Melbourne.....they have ordered it and it should be here late Tuesday, will take the beast back in on Thursday I think and they will be replace the GPS under warranty

Back