Gear Position sensor 06 R3

JKrull66

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Well when I got my bike back the neutral light didn't work. Figured it was no biggie.They said the plunger was stuck in the shaft. Was leaving town and was just happy to have it back. The plunger moves some but maybe not enough, but I went to test if the light comes on useing a screwdriver to ground the post on the sensor and no light. Should just be able to ground it and check it right? Will dig in more tomorrow.
Anyone else played with this in the past?
John

There should be two wires on the sensor, one goes to the ECU and the other to the neutral light as well as the ECU. So only one will fire the light, between them they will tell the ECU which gear you're in for mapping purposes. Sometimes I wonder if you had a fault in this circuit if it would make the Ecu jump between maps and make the engine behave erratically. Those two wires should both be earth activated, check for continuity to earth on both while changing through the gears. If the sensor checks OK, then the wires or dash bulb will most likely be the problem.

Thanks, checked and all was fine with the sensor, I was not getting a good ground when testing before. It was the plunger stuck in the shaft not comming out enough for contact. Not sure what was binding up. Tried to remove a little shaft material right around the plunger on the end, also tried a big magnet to pull on it. Ended up making a small 1/16 drill hole sidways in the plunger to get a pick in and pry it out, still came out hard. Dressed it up and smoothed the drill area and re assembled. works fine now. All I can figure is the end of the shaft got hit in reassembly at the shop. I'm just happy its fixed.
John

Back