gear box really funky all of a sudden.

georgia

.060 Over
I was riding with my club when my gear box started acting up.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Clutch APPEARS to feel like it's not disengaging 100%. I don't think its the clutch, but hey.... you guys are the experts. It feels like the clutch is disengaging about 99%. ( the bike wants to barely barely crawl forward with clutch pulled all the way in while in gear)

2. the TACH shows a nice idle at just under 1000 RPM ( about normal ) with clutch engaged or not.

3. the bike will NOT shift into neutral unless the engine is off.

4. can't shift into 1st without stopping. When I can shift out of 1st it takes a lot of pressure. and the bike needs to be moving. Sometimes it won't shift out of 1st until I slow, speed up, release throttle, etc...

5. All gears work. but it now takes a substantial effort to shift between gears. Fast speeds / easier shifts. big "thunks" to get it in any given gear.

6. no funny noises coming from the gear box.

Any thoughts? :(

cheers
geo

Last edited:
checked the clutch cable... looks fine. If it's the clutch cable, the only thing it could be is if it just slipped. I can't see any damage, wear, or marks, and it appears to be moving the lever properly on the case.

Any other thoughts?

cheers
geo

If you have eliminated all of your "free play" at the clutch lever (as a test) and the engine is still slightly engaged when you have the clutch lever pulled in; (evidenced by the hard shifting gears and inability to find neutral) I'd say it's internal with the lifter shaft.

Time for either;

a. Trip to the dealer (hopefully it's under warranty still).

b. Take it apart yourself (if so inclined).

Kindest regards,

-Will

It's the lifter shaft. It's worried it's way into oblivion. You need to check the freeplay at the handlebar and make sure you have 2-3mm or basically a wobbly handlever.

It's so easy to check, something you can do everytime you ride the bike and lack of freeplay causes so much greif.

I think Warp and I have said that at least a hundred times. The weakest link in the clutch actuation mechanism is the lifter shaft and freeplay. No freeplay and the lifter shaft breaks.

If the lifter shaft is excessively worn, then no. The front engine cover needs to be popped off and the shaft replaced.

But after the repair, you can make sure it doesn't happen again by maintaining enough freeplay in the clutch, by keeping it adjusted.

Kindest Regards,

-Will

Back