Brennus

Ride on brother
Ride
BSA WM20, Rocket III Roadster
And thanks for allowing me to join.
It's been informative reading on this forum, and valuable for me as a non-rocket owner so far.

Im on the right side of 50, live in Sydney, Oz, and have been getting back into bikes over the past year. I used to ride dirt bikes a lot up to about 21, when life took a few different twists and turns. Anyway I've recently realised that one of the things that I truly enjoy about life is the thrill of riding motorbikes, so I've been getting back into it through vintage bikes.

My current daily ride is a 58 Velocette Venom 500, and I also have a BSA WM20, but I'm now looking to step up to a modern large cruiser both for the daily and for longer trips. Trying to decide at the moment between a HD or the Rocket. I'm not afraid of spanners and doing my own maintenance, and the ability of the bike to put a smile on my face is paramount.

Having read some of the issues regarding transmissions and cam chains / sprockets has me a little concerned, but watching peoples reactions to riding the rocket on youtube has me swinging to the rocket side. I've ridden a Harley Deuce 96CI, which I loved, so smooth and comfortable, but have not yet ridden the Rocket, so decisions decisions....

Greetings! I'm on the "right side of 50" as well, and let me say that I see motorcycle as "Road Therapy"; whatever you ride... just ride. As for Triumph vs HD, there's always pros and cons depending on the person...but the love of my life (on two wheels) is my '14 R3 Touring. Once you ride an R3....you'll have a permanent grin. That said, she has a girlfriend in the stable, my HD V-Rod Muscle...love that bike too! ..but she's a day rider only... aka my "Harley Sports Bike" :D:ninja:
-MIG

Thanks for the welcome, the info and for voting MIG! So far it's 100% to the Rocket :laugh: Those V-Rods do look like fun.

Welcome from across the ditch Christchurch New Zealand.

Im also on the plus side of 50 too but only by a year.

If you get a bike from 2009 on and you should avoid any gear box issues.

I love my big blue beast. And spend more time riding than I do cleaning.

I can ride my Rocket for 600 + kms in a day over here on our crappy roads. I'm sure that you wouldn't be keen on doing that on a bike makes alot of noise but not much go.

And spend more time riding than I do cleaning.

I can ride my Rocket for 600 + kms in a day over here on our crappy roads. I'm sure that you wouldn't be keen on doing that on a bike makes alot of noise but not much go.

Two pretty good points right there. Thanks mate, that blue bike looks fantastic!

Brennus, welcome to our favorite web site. A few here have both Rockets and HD's, usually the HD collects dust once one gets on a Rocket. Good luck deciding

Hoopla

Thanks Hoopla, that would be the perfect solution!

Hello Brennus and welcome from Virginia. I am partial to my 2014 R3T with just over 65K miles now. It is my daily ride to work, my two-up three-day weekend get away and my cross country steed. I vote Rocket III for your next ride brother.

Welcome. You should get out and try an R3 - they are VERY different beasts to a Harley.

That's not to say a Harley is a bad bike, per se. But If you are , let's say, vertically challenged - the R3 seat height and weight can be an issue for some.

Think of the R3 as a bear. If you treat it gently then it is a fluffy teddy. If you dont, well ......

grizzly+bear+horors+01.jpg

.... you will get mauled.

Welcome from Minden Nevada USA. Ride the Rocket. You will find there is no comparison to the Harley. My previous bike was a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. I spent alot of money making the bike mine. Reinhart exhaust, cams, and had it painted my favorite color. It was an extremely comfortable bike. I rode my 2014 R3T once and traded my Harley like I didn't even like it. I miss the fancy stereo from the Harley but not enough to ever go back. If I went back to that style of bike I would buy an Indian. The electric windshield is great! But bang for the buck will always be with the Rocket. You can build a Rocket up to 240hp naturally aspirated. If you need more than that there are forced induction options. All I have done to mine is triple K&Ns, a straight pipe and a tune from the resource section here on this site. The guys on this board are extremely friendly with the whole spectrum of experience if and when you need help. There are even members who have switched to other bikes and still hang out here and attend R3 events with the friends they have made here. When I sold my Harley I was made to feel unwelcome on my old board. How dare I go against the brand. I love my bike and the people I have got to meet here. Whatever you choose let us know. We will like you for who you are.

Back