GAS TANK VENTING and CAP PART #

RooK

Supercharged
Ride
'06 RIII
My bike has been venting gas for awhile. When it's hot out or the engine heats up the fuel tank it smells so much!
When I look at the vent tube under the bike, I can CONTINUOUSLY see fumes coming out.
So much that sometimes I even see droplets of gas, that is with a half tank! As if the fumes condensate. I've been puzzled with this for years!

So I started looking into the gas cap, I took it apart and the paint from the inside bubbled and prevents the rubber seal to seal properly and keep some pressure inside the tank. I scraped and cleaned the paint off, it's better but not good enough. I am talking about the internal fumes seal inside the gas cap and not the tank neck seal.

So I started looking for a part. I can't seem to be able to get a part number (nor a price) on-line for that. And I can just hope I could keep the same key ....

Anyone else had this problem? Part number anyone? Price? Suggestions?

tdragger, I found a similar one that fitted teh Rocket. Are you sure this particular one fits?

Atomsplitter; No canister, thought it was california model only... but the thought or adding one crossed my mind...

IDK, **** right! That's why I ride south! lol

All of the six bolt pattern oncs that list Triumph KTM etc are exactly the same. I've had mine on for 2 years now. I'm the one that told the seller to list Triumph along with KTM etc.

I've not had any problem with my stock locking cap. The only times I get fumes is right after I fill the tank and maybe sloshed some on the inner neck.
You might want to pull the stock gasket, lay it on some gas-approved gasket material and cut a new one, or double up to get a thicker/tighter seal.
That way you keep your stock part and key.

All of the six bolt pattern oncs that list Triumph KTM etc are exactly the same. I've had mine on for 2 years now. I'm the one that told the seller to list Triumph along with KTM etc.

I'll order one right away!

...The only times I get fumes is right after I fill the tank and maybe sloshed some on the inner neck.
You might want to pull the stock gasket, lay it on some gas-approved gasket material and cut a new one, or double up to get a thicker/tighter seal.
If some gas went around the neck then it's drained by the drain line, not the vent one.
I wish I'd have time to post the picture I took, the seal is fine but it's sure a funny design to make a "valve"

I bought the keyless cap and still smell fuel after a fill up, and I don't slosh any gas. It was especially evident over the last seven days while riding in Idaho and Montana (very hot). I've going to do an oil change today and thought to lift the gas tank to see if I can ID the problem.

It has to be said that I have seen fuel pool below the vent tube when the beast is stood (not running) in the sun - Being black does not help. A vent tube is there to vent - oddly!. My guess is that it's worse when empty-ish than when full.

I have mixed feelings about a non-lockable tank filler cap.

Back