Gadgetman Groove and real advances in engine technology

mully95

Living Legend
Ride
Roadster
Have you guys seen this? Apparently it makes a tremendous gain in fuel mileage on any vehicle with EFI.

Seems simple enough to groove the throttle body. Has some other videos that are testimonials of people that have applied the groove.

I have a Dodge ram that doesn't get good gas mileage and it would be a prime candidate.

Just wondering what you guys think of this ... snake oil?

Kevin Cameron from cycle world magazine is a really smart feller when it comes to engines and all things mechanical. He did an article about these 100 miles to the gallon things and was able to prove to me why they can't work. There is only so many btu's in a gallon of gasoline, even if you could get 100% efficiency turning that gallon of fuel into motive energy, you'd still be no where near 100mpg in anything resembling an automobile. From my own point of view, if it was a easy as cutting some grooves somewhere, why wouldn't the auto companies do that instead of spending millions of R&D dollars developing hybrids and cylinder de-activation and 27 speed transmissions?

I am guessing it's some kind of intake restriction....at low speeds you might get tremendous torque, and maybe even decent economy given the low speed. But restrictions being what they are, the engine would choke if you tried to get up any speed.

100% snake oil shyster.

There is a grain of truth in husband monologue, there usually is with people selling snake oil, and that grain is that modern engineers are not applying significant effort towards mileage increases.

The mileage increases were seeing are largely the result of transmission gearing and a side effect of improving engine power and decreasing displacement.

If engineers at motocompanies were really interested in mileage you'd see things like this showing up in cars instead of sales terms like VANOS-VTED-VVTI-Displacement on demand etc.

If engineers at motocompanies were really interested in mileage you'd see things like this showing up in cars instead of sales terms like VANOS-VTED-VVTI-Displacement on demand etc.
Amen - Some LARGE diesels (by large I mean Container Ship Engines) achieve 80% efficiency. Why - because buyers DEMAND IT. If we all stopped buying engines unable to achieve 50% (or more to the point it was made legislation) we'd see a lot more. I would LOVE to get my hands on a DUKE engine. Engine Technology, Vehicle, Marine, Light Aircraft, Multi Fuel

As for snake-oil. I love watching the unpersuasive try to sell.

NOW we're talking. These beautiful additions qualify for the Bearclaw Corner.

I want these ! Thank you.

Back