G’day all... advice on high mileage R3 sought please

adelaideVMC

.060 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Classic
G’day Triumph R3 World ...

As per my profile ..

Have ridden for 35 odd years, currently ride a 98 Tbird Sport and a 93 Daytona 1200...

Am looking to trade the Tbird to a bloke in Brisbane QLD ... his bike is schmick, one owner, has allegedly had the gearbox upgrade... however .. 75 000 lms..

My question is ... can a Rocket 3 still be sound at 75k kms ? Lots of life left ?

Thanks for any feedback gang :)

Cheers ...

They seem to break right away, relatively, or not at all. I haven't heard of one dying of old age yet that I remember. I would obviously pay less than for a low mileage one.

45,000 maintained miles I wouldn't bat an eye at buying as long as you're prepared to replace a few things if needed, none of which are terribly expensive (unless all of them need it).

Likely culprits are:
Detent spring
Headstock bearing
Wheel bearings
Valve adjustment
Water pump and hoses
Tires
Brake pads/fluid
Grips
Coolant/cap/t-stat
Battery
Air filter
TPS
O2 sensor

It's likely most of these are perfectly serviceable but they're the things id put on the inspect list prior to purchase.

Last edited:
I have 46,000 miles on my 2006 I purchased new. I don't hesitate to take it anywhere at any time. Thinking of riding on 6,000 mile trip to visit my brother.

What year Rocket is it ? What color is the engine ?

What is the purchase price of the bike ?

Mine is a 2008 R3T. 53,000 miles. The only issue on the Rocket was a detent Spring. I've caused issues by making changes. Exaust upgrades causing computer hiccups. The Motorcycle runs fine if you follow regular maintence schedules.

Back