FYI My Corbin Fairing Review

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I'm new to the forum, but I thought I would contribute some of my thought on the Corbin Fairing. I have seen some interest on the forum about fairings and since I bought a Corbin, here is my take.

I bought my 2013 Rocket 3 Touring Bike late this last season after riding my 2009 Harley Fatboy for five years. I just wanted a change and to try something new. Anyway, one of the things I wanted to add to my new toy was a fairing. I didn't want a lot of bells and whistles, but rather something that was styled nice and looked good. After much research! I decided on the Corbin in spite of its ridiculous cost (I had allowed some money in my budget to buy the thing). Since they make them from scratch, it took about four weeks for it to arrive on my doorstep. It was beautifully painted New England White and Black with gold trim to match my new Rocket. The finish inside and out is a smooth glossy gel coat finish. A true thing of beauty! The brackets were not chrome as I had expected. They were painted gray and in some aspects somewhat primitive, a few grinder marks under the paint. In hindsight it was for the best because if I wanted to mod them, like weld on them, I could do so and repaint them. The Corbin mounts on the existing windshield mount (a big factor in my choosing the Corbin) now I could easily switch back to my standard windshield if i liked. It is swept back nicely, so it doesn't look like a piece of plywood setting on the front of your bike as you are going down the road and my Rocket appears to handle very well with it on. It mounts easily and is not all that heavy considering its sturdy construction. The fairing is nice and wide and give you nice protection in front of your hands as well. It looks really great on the bike with only minimal shaking as you hit any road bumps.

Now..here are some of the down points in my opinion you should be aware of. 1st...the gap around the headlight, an inch and one-half or more, lets a lot of air through. So much in fact that I had to fashion a nice aluminum dashboard inside the fairing to block and deflect the incoming air. Memphis Shades makes a piece for their fairing that helps to block the air and Corbin should do the same. I solve most of the problem with the dashboard I made. 2nd...the wind dynamics allowing air coming down, up and around you is way more than I had hoped for. I have solved the problem (not quite yet to my satisfaction, a work still in progress!) by incorporating some aluminum mounting strips fastened to the actual fairing brackets and then custom cut some polycarbonate bat wing style deflectors mounted on the brackets. They almost look like they belong and were made for the fairing. These act much like the lower deflectors that are built into your windshield that was made for your Rocket. Clearance problems between my fairing mod, the radiator and huge fuel tank were a tight issue. 3rd...I had to turn my auxiliary running light brackets around on the mounting bar to provide a little more clearance for the fairing. This brought the lights a little more forward for better clearance. As they are mounted normally, they do work, but I wanted more than about 3/8" clearance. And last but not least, the angle of the windshield is swept to far back. It matches the look of the fairing, but it needs to be about 6-10 degrees more vertical for better wind management and thus moving the top of windshield further away from my head or helmet. I had Corbin include the 10" tall clear windshield with my order (the tallest they offered). It was way short from where I wanted it so I ordered a 14" Cee Bailey. The taller the windshield, the closer to your head it gets. In the end, it really sweeps back close to my head. Still looking for that nice little pocket of mostly dead air around my head and shoulders. My, eye level, Cee Bailey replacement windshield that I bought for my standard Triumph windshield actually works better from a wind dynamics standpoint than my high dollar fairing. I'm a little disappointed. The fairing on the other hand is a sharp looking addition to the bike and the guys I ride with think it looks really nice...almost a part of the bike. With all this said, that's why I bought the Corbin, so I can switch back and forth with whatever mood strikes me. My Corbin...a work in progress. Ride Safe!

Shame on me Mittzy and my apology to anyone who reads this post. I realize now I never took any real good picture of the fairing on the bike. I will try and post a couple of the dashboard, the deflectors and the fairing laying on the bed.

I painted the dashboard hammer tone gray. The two screws in the middle are for future GPS or utility bag. The deflectors have since been modified and will be again, but you can get the idea. The fairing on the bed has the 10" windshield mounted not the 14". The pictures are a little wash out as it was a bright day. If it is dry tomorrow here in Michigan I will get my bike out, mount the fairing and post something worth looking at. Sorry...My bad!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 63
I expected more from Corbin given their high price tag. I have concerns with -
1) Painted brackets with the tool marks on them. They should be power coated or chromed for that $ level.
2) The general areo dynamics. For a premium priced product that is custom made for your bike the air gap around the headlight is weak. I would have liked to see more consideration given to the air pocket that the rider sits in.....Having to add different sized windshields to bandaid this...not good.
Thanks for taking the time to write up your impressions on the fairing....hopefully you CC Corbin them as well so they can get some feedback.

Well, it's an unusual December day here in Michigan....50 degrees and no snow. With the exception of being mostly cloudy and a little damp, I decided to get my Rocket out and take a few pictures as promised with the Corbin Fairing mounted. When the fairing is on my bike I call her... "Orca"...as the coloring and size of the beast reminds me of the whale with the same name. Should my riding comrades ever pickup on this similarity I'm sure there will we plenty of comments and much mocking to go around. With a twist of the throttle I'll keep them behind me so they don't notice. Hopefully, these photos will better show how nicely it sets and looks on the bike along with some of the mods I have done to the fairing. Be kind in your comments because I am still not done getting things the way I want them to be and there will be changes. In particular, the lower deflectors which I have shown quite well in a couple photos. The defectors are currently in two pieces as I extended them down to see what would happen. I plan on using the lines of the lower piece and it extending it upward as one piece with a little flair at the top. This will make for a cleaner and less of a "to much" look. Always a compromise between function and style.

As a follow up note and with a LITTLE more fairness to Corbin after I posted my review, I still think the Corbin fairing is the best looking fairing made, this is especially true since it mounts on the original rocket hardware and matches the width of the grips. Being an after market add on, I lay blame for some of it faults on the fact they don't really test their products on all the bikes they make their products for....thus, they never really see the issues that should have been worked out.

Although I have not achieve the air pocket I would like surrounding the fairing, I will tell you that I was not impressed with the newly designed and completely tested fairing Harley Davidson is now putting on their 2015 bikes. I found my test ride of a new Harley to be greatly lacking from a wind dynamics standpoint. Almost every Harley accessory I have ever put on my Fatboy had to be modified by me in some way, begging the question in my mind..."What in the hell were they thinking when they made this and how stupid can they be". I guess I'm just picky and since I have the skills to get things closer to being where I would like them to be, I guess I will just live with the short comings of after market add on products.

PS... I had 53 degrees at the final writing of this post, so I hopped on the "Orca" for a ride. Did I tell you how much fun it is to ride the beast after almost 2 month! I hate winter!!!

Bedifferent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    951.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg