Fuse box below relays?

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
Alright, I'm stumped.

I've been scouring the service manual for the last hour and a half trying to figure out what this fuse holder is... it appears to be stock on the bike 08 r3t. Does anyone know what this circuit is? Why is it disconnected? The bike seems to run fine without a fuse in the fuse box.

If anyone has information on this, it'd be much appreciated.

15721328373971625108967672646365.jpg
15721331373357745358118660898930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters, that is not a fuse holder -- it is half of a Triumph-supplied connector. I could hazard that it is related to the purge valve which appears to be missing on your bike (California emissions models). I am curious about the decidedly aftermarket splice clamps on the wires just beyond the connector.

I can tell you that a fuse fits into it really nicely haha, what are the advantages / disadvantages to having it connected to a purge valve? The exceptionally aftermarket quick splices are a plague that I have inherited from the previous owner. I do not have positive feelings about the inventor of quick splices.

The California spec models were delivered with charcoal canisters, though many are missing to make room for other things under the side cover.

I just replaced the charcoal canister on my daughter's 2005 Toyota Matrix - it won't pass inspection without it. Fortunately, where I live motorcycles are exempt from emissions tests.

Essentially an evaporative control system is intended to capture hydrocarbons from the gas expansion from the tank when it gets warm, and then let air back in, ideally returning those very same hydrocarbons, when the tank cools.

A charcoal canister is one method of doing that, and the electrically controlled valve on the Rocket, when it's hooked up and there is a canister in place, opens the canister to the vacuum of the throttle bodies when the bike is starting. By whatever sequence the bike was subjected in order to meet sales requirements in California, that approach allowed Triumph to meet the requirements.

The purge valve was originally on CA-only emission control equipment for fuel vapors - it has become virtually std on later models
Does nothing to enhance or detract from performance - just more environmentally friendly in reducing the amount of fuel disappearing into the atmosphere

Back