Funny story bout a GSXR-750

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
So a buddy asks me to help him with his new clutch cable. He's a brand new rider, only ridden two days after a 1p year hiatus from bikes.

Naturally I help out, get everything to what should be right. He asked me to take it out to make sure the cables right etc since he wasn't comfortable with riding yet in case something happens.

An hour later, after fiddling over and over getting it adjusted to what should be right, I still felt like it was wrong. I'd get to 2nd gear rip the throttle open from 4k and........ nothing slow as molasses. I was convinced the clutch was slipping. Baby it back to him, ask him to try it and see if it feels right.

Comes back with a big ass grin because it's so much better now.

Talk about warped perception of power, felt like riding a 50cc moped to me lol. If absolute power corrupts, then the rocket is the devil and I am as corrupt as the come lol.

So a buddy asks me to help him with his new clutch cable. He's a brand new rider, only ridden two days after a 1p year hiatus from bikes.

Naturally I help out, get everything to what should be right. He asked me to take it out to make sure the cables right etc since he wasn't comfortable with riding yet in case something happens.

An hour later, after fiddling over and over getting it adjusted to what should be right, I still felt like it was wrong. I'd get to 2nd gear rip the throttle open from 4k and........ nothing slow as molasses. I was convinced the clutch was slipping. Baby it back to him, ask him to try it and see if it feels right.

Comes back with a big ass grin because it's so much better now.

Talk about warped perception of power, felt like riding a 50cc moped to me lol. If absolute power corrupts, then the rocket is the devil and I am as corrupt as the come lol.

did you actually redline the thing? you are aware that these things are like a 2 stroke with a 'power band-like' kick. The first time I rode one (back in the '80s) I had a similar impression and went back to the owner saying I thought the tacho was buggered because it wasn't moving very much...until I actually revved it out I thought it was gutless.

Did your test ride go something like this?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've owned a couple of those GS Suzukis and while they have no concept of what torque means, when properly spun up they will keep your attention.

No replacement for displacement. Sold my 79 GS750 after 6 month with the rocket. Yup you could wind her up but she's no rocket and at 550lbs felt like a moped! Was a good bike though!

Oh yeah, I am very aware that from 10k to redline she'll hustle, but on my Daytona 955i, you snap the throttle to full open at 4k, you better be paying attention, it still moves pretty good down there. The big D is 3 up in back 1 down up front and makes more torque at 4k than the gsxr 750 does at peak, but still, I couldn't believe how gutless the 750 was on the bottom and now I totally understand why the Jap bike guys love their 1000s.... smaller is totally useless unless you wind it up.

The whole experience, the ass pain of clutch cable adjustment on a GSXR vs a D955i, the gutless bottom, the toy like feel, it all reaffirms my initial buy into the Triumph marque as the correct decision!

One thing I will say about the 750, steering was one billion times better feeling than the CBR1000 I recently rode, and I can see why people go haul ass on GSXRs, they really do inspire confidence in control. 10 minutes on it and I was already **** near dragging knees lmao.

That said, Ill still put money on my R3 beating a gsxr 750 from 0-120 in a street race all day long.

As someone who owns an R1 and a Roadster, I know for a fact my Roadster is better off the line and all the way to about 60, then the R1 gets it's stride. Both are glorious machines, just different. I can't wait til I get my Roadster back on the road. Gotta show these Harley riders what a real bike is.

Thats what i love about the Yammie VMX1200 , you hit VBoost and the engine growls like a angry primevil beast , and the exhaust note with the right pipes sounds like a small block chev

I was working on a friends GSXR-750 trying to sort out some dynajet problems. It was a first or second year model. I hit an expansion joint changing lanes whilst "on it" and it went into a full on tank slapper at about 70 mph. Knocked my hands right off the bars. Apparently my guardian angel is good for 70 mph. Through no skill on my part, it came out of it by its self. That's the one and only ****** rocket I've ever ridden. My V-65 Magna would leave it for dead. In fact, I could do roll on's while he was catching gears, and still kick his arse. He was not pleased.

Back