Fuel Tank Removal

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hey everyone (who has done this before), what is to be expected when "removing" the fuel tank. If there is any fuel in the tank, will it exit the tank when hoses/fitting are removed? Sorry, I haven't even read the service manual to see if the answer lies there. Hoping someone will share their experince.

Need to remove the tank and wanted to know if it should be done "outside", what with the gas fumes and all.

Thanks.

When the fittings are disconnected they are supposed to seal but they don't very well. Defineately a job that should be done in a "well ventalated" area. I would get all of the gas you can out of the tank, even if that means using a fluid pump. I had about a quart left in it and that was too much. Make sure to mark the two vent hoses and their respective postitions also. I think the manual details how to disconnect the harness from the fuel pump.

Also...

Rusty....when you remove the fuel line from the bottom of the tank, you will find a banjo type fitting and bolt. On each side of the banjo fitting and on the bolt, there are aluminum washers that are designed to "crush" to torque when reassembled.

IMHO...I would make sure you order those little guys and install new ones (as per the manual) because mine leaked and I had to park the bike for two weeks while my local Triumph dealer ordered the washers....:mad:....S.B.

Had mine off two or three times to adjust the float.
Leaked a little the first time . Definetely need a marker or paint pen to mark where those banjos are turned, and which line goes where.

Last edited:
Back