Fuel Tank Removal Questions

xoygeha

Standard Bore
Ride
'14 R3 Roadster, '06 V-Rod StreetRod (turbo'd)
Under the fuel tank.png

I am trying to remove the fuel tank and have ran into some problems. I've searched for answers and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.
The manual says to remove the fuel line. Removing the bolt (red arrow) results in fuel leaking from the tank in a slow steady stream. Removing the hose (green arrow) will have the same result.
What am I doing wrong?
Also, the rear vacuum hose on the tank, when disconnected also has fuel come out. Is this normal?
Any and all help is appreciated!

-X

2014 Rocket 3 Roadster

Hello there, firstly your not doing anything wrong the fuel seepage is due to a release of pressure from the fuel pump, what I do is get an old towel and cover the top of the motor to catch what escapes it will stop as quick as it starts, it looks like you have a crimped clamp green arrow I'd replace that with a jubilee clip to make life easy when you next remove, torque the banjo bolt red arrow back up as there's no need to disturb that one.

When you loosen the banjo joint bolt you will some immediate release of fuel. As stated earlier, a towel will catch that. The fuel will then stop, allowing you to remove the tank. Just make sure that the 2 hoses which are next to each other go back on the same way they come off.

When you remove the fuel line bolt just a little fuel will dribble out. Just enough to make a small mess but not enough to worry about. Bebsy has the right idea.

If you need to remove the the entire fuel pump and filter module then you do need to remove the 9 little bolts. You will need to drain the tank first with some kind of pump through the open fuel cap.

You need to drain as much fuel as you can. Lift the front of the tank and prop, then insert a small hose toward the bottom rear of the tank and siphon as much fuel as you can. The tank does has a check ball to minimize fuel dripping from the banjo bolt hole but it seems to drip anyway. I would not remove the rubber hose (green arrow) from the end metal tube as it is crimped and not made to be remove.

Thank you all for the replies.
The fuel never stopped leaking. I ended up putting the tank on a 5 gallon bucket to catch the fuel. (placed outside, of course)
I have have been having some problems with the bike. Let me explain:
I was out of state for about 2.5 years, came home intermittently and started the bike and rode it some. I kept fuel stabilizer in it to prevent the fuel from gumming. When I returned home, I realized that I was needing fuel. I rode it to the station, but ran out of gas about 1/2 mile from the station. Thankfully, it was downhill and I coasted it in. Ever since then, the bike has ran horribly. Sputtering, backfiring, choppy idle and would die frequently while at idle. Had a very hard time getting it back home. I removed the fuel tank to clean the spark plugs, they were badly fouled. After putting it back together, it seemed to run much better. So, I went for a short ride. After about 1 mile, the sputtering and losing power returned. Increasing the rpm made it a little better, although the power would wax and wane. It made getting back home a chore. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to restore this beauty to life?
I am thinking either the fuel filter, fuel pump, or the injectors...

Last edited:
They would be good places to look. Also check the air plumbing and filters to see if mices have built town-houses there whiles you were away.

They would be good places to look. Also check the air plumbing and filters to see if mices have built town-houses there whiles you were away.
Rodent free. Not even spiders in the garage. 😉
Any tips to getting to the injectors?

Back