Fuel Tank Capacity.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
I know what is in the Triumph Manual.

But has anybody actually measured it themselves?
Is it 23L (whatever) from the plate in the filler - or right to the brim? - Because my guess is there is a good litre or more between plate and brim.

Other than draining completely - I can't think of a way to do it.
And I really don't fancy dismantling it all at the moment. OK I'm lazy.

why? - The Fuelbot is on its way. And I'd really like to know that I have 23L in the tank if I tell the gauge it has 23L.

A good question, the most I have ever put in is 21Litres, I know at the time I had traveled 330km which was the most I have done before a refill.The manual says 23litres.
I thought I would get more in the tank if the bike was up straight when filling but I always have it on the stand.

Spoke to a guy the other day that had a fuelbot on his R3 and he said he entered 22 litres so he had some reserve,

I have put about 23.5 litres in one fill up, bike cut out a few times heading to the servo, @Mittzy took a picture of the pump :eek:

Everything I've read say 24 litres is tank capacity

Last edited:
Spoke to a guy the other day that had a fuelbot on his R3 and he said he entered 22 litres so he had some reserve,
I have put about 23.5 litres in one fill up, bike cut out a few times heading to the servo, I think @Mittzy took a picture of the pump :eek:
yes I took a photo but accidently deleted a heap of photos just the other day- NOT happy Jan

I've actually run the fuel tank until empty to the point I rolled into the gas station and the bike died from no gas. I put in almost exactly 24 liters when that happened.

So philosophy question -- and I'm following this with great interest, because my FUELBOT 2.0 came in the mail yesterday.

FUELBOT can't measure how much fuel has been entered, and at least around here, I'm pretty sure there is variability in the amount I have each time I fill because of differences in pump pressure, how foamy it, and whether the dispense lever allows a trickle, on only goes full gush with fuel splashing out the filler hole forcing me to stop early.

So given that reality, how does FUELBOT operation make things better ?

So given that reality, how does FUELBOT operation make things better ?
Well my "low Fuel" light comes on after about 220kms - Fairly constantly. But once itś on (or off for that matter) how much is actually left. Triumph say 5.5L. In my case I think it may well be closer to 8 left. And on one of those irregular days where my speed is up - I´ll know.

... FUELBOT can't measure how much fuel has been entered ...
For the initial calibration, you need to get how much you filled off the pump's meter.
Pumps are federally mandated to be accurately calibrated, so regardless of what pressure etc or how you dispense it, that number SHOULD be accurate.
It does not matter what that number is - whether you filled it when tank was 1/4 or half full (although the more you put in the more accurate the calculation will be) as long as you equate that specific fill to the volume consumed in Injector counts for that initial calibration.
You should only have to do that calibration once, although you can redo it if you find you are 'off' a little (perhaps tank was not completely filled before and after that initial calibration fill)

https://www.quora.com/How-accurate-are-the-pumps-in-gas-stations

<0.3% is the allowable accuracy error

If you are seeing different volumes of your fill, it is fairly likely that indeed your real fill volume is different each time. It is almost impossible to compare fill to fill volume unless your tank starts at completely empty and is filled to completely full; anything between is just an approximate guess on the users part. *

... So given that reality, how does FUELBOT operation make things better ?
The Fuelbot will give you an extremely accurate indication once it is initially programmed by knowing how much fuel was CONSUMED (that is the critical term here) against how much it took to fill it to the same point as the previous reference
(that is why you are instructed to fill to the neck, so the reference point is the same). Once programmed the consumption rate will be actually calculated to show whatever you have remaining to the 'spec' capacity that you entered initially.

The number you enter for the tank capacity, has no actual bearing on the fuel rate CONSUMPTION itself, only the predictor to what point it is 'empty'
If you want to be able to live all the way to the fumes, then you get the absolute capacity of the tank.
But you can build in your own 'cushion' by setting a slightly lower 'spec' tank volume.

So let's say that the tank really takes an actual 24L from completely empty to completely full;
If you enter 24 as the volume, then yes, if you got the calibration correct, you would hit that '0' level pretty predictably every time.
An alternative is to be slightly conservative - say 23L (it does not use this number in any way to calculate how much fuel the bike is using - only what the empty point is)
Now the firmware simply thinks there is a 23L tank, so it will now always predict to the zero mark at 1L remaining; so you have a built-in reserve if you will.
The consumption rate is going to be identical in the computation regardless of whether you put 23 or 24 as the tank volume - it simply will predict zero at whatever that reserve limit you built in.
Taken to extreme you could even enter 20L for example and when your FuelBot says 'zero' you would always have 4L (or 1gal) left

But you really don't need to build in a big reserve - the only thing you really want avoid is using a BIGGER number than the tank actually holds! :D
i.e if you say the tank hold 25L, you will run out of fuel before the FuelBot says zero!!

*footnote - once you have calibrated it correctly, you WILL be able to compare the volume of your fill between one pump and another against what you have used as indicated by FuelBot.

Last edited:
Back