Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
I've been riding in the hills of Tennessee for the last week. Being a Michigan 'flat lander" I enjoy every ride I take on paved roads in late October. I've enjoyed this last week riding on my 08 R3T. Jamie is with me with a old map giving backseat commands . On Monday we were heading to Cherokee traveling through the national park. Traffic was moving along at less than a walking pace. 50 feet then stop for ??? This went on for 45 minutes! When traffic finally started. We were going up a steep area. The cycle was full of gas. I started to smell fuel. The engine was running terrible. Engine seemed to be flooding out. I tried to loosen the gas cap, and fuel pored out of the tank. I quickly closed the cap. Before I could pull off the road, the engine started to level out, and after riding a bucking horse, the system settled down and we rode on. Any ideas what the hell happened? I'm sure the throttle didn't stick. Other than that I'm at a loss. Ideas?

I've been riding in the hills of Tennessee for the last week. Being a Michigan 'flat lander" I enjoy every ride I take on paved roads in late October. I've enjoyed this last week riding on my 08 R3T. Jamie is with me with a old map giving backseat commands . On Monday we were heading to Cherokee traveling through the national park. Traffic was moving along at less than a walking pace. 50 feet then stop for ??? This went on for 45 minutes! When traffic finally started. We were going up a steep area. The cycle was full of gas. I started to smell fuel. The engine was running terrible. Engine seemed to be flooding out. I tried to loosen the gas cap, and fuel pored out of the tank. I quickly closed the cap. Before I could pull off the road, the engine started to level out, and after riding a bucking horse, the system settled down and we rode on. Any ideas what the hell happened? I'm sure the throttle didn't stick. Other than that I'm at a loss. Ideas?
Sounds like tank serviced with too much fuel (not leaving room for expansion in the tank) and expanding when heated from below. This usually results with fuel either saturating the charcoal cannister (if installed) or not draining out the vent line due to a clogged vent line or clogged tipover check valve.

The vent tube has an vent valve, located/fixed under the left side cover. If this valve doesn´t work correctly, there will be a vacuum in the tank. I did have a similar problem years ago, have removed this valve and since than no more problem with it....
Regards, Georg

The vent tube has an vent valve, located/fixed under the left side cover. If this valve doesn´t work correctly, there will be a vacuum in the tank. I did have a similar problem years ago, have removed this valve and since than no more problem with it....
Regards, Georg
If I were you, I would replace the vent tube rollover valve with new. It serves as a safety valve to prevent fuel from draining from the tank to the ground if the bike falls over.

Regards, Georg
Thanks for your quick help. When the fuel smell occurred , we were just beginning to move. I realized quickly that I was loosing fuel. When I cracked the gas cap I had a clean towel in my lap. Gas started to spray, under pressure. I quickly closed the cap, and wiped up what I could while still riding a very lively motorcycle! One more fact. Within minutes the engine smoothed out. I pulled safely off the road. After Jamie cleared the area, I slowly opened the gas cap. I could see the fuel circulating. I used a finger to touch the circulating fuel. The gas was warm, even hot. Surprised me. Remember, I had ran the bike for a short distance, maybe a mile, at speed. I guess 40 mph. The air was moving around the machine. The gas would have to cool down during that mile. It must have been quite hot then!

Back