Jared

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III
Just took delivery of my 2012 R3 Roadster. As I was riding it around and turning into the alley, it stalled, which was also unusual, but maybe I need to get used to this bike's clutch/engine dynamics? Anyway, after that stall I noticed the fuel level gauge was completely void of any bars. Upon turning the ignition key, it will show as "full" as part of it's initialization routine, but come back to 'empty' each time, even though I can look into the tank and see that it's practically full. And before the stall, the gauge read full.

I did remove the seat and notice the negative battery terminal was loose, as in I could move it with my fingers, but much to my disappointment, even after disconnecting both leads and cleaning with 800-grit sandpaper and tightening them both down, this did not alleviate the fuel level problem.

I tried looking through old posts, but didn't see the problem I have (but maybe others didn't post the same details I did?), so I thought I'd try here.

Additionally, I have seen many references to TuneECU: according to Google App store, it is specific to motorcycles, so perhaps I should look into it. I do have an app called Torque, which I use with a bluetooth OBDII adapter for cars, and it did connect and recognize for my bike, but perhaps it's too different of a vehicle profile to try and use this on the bike. Thoughts?

Yes indeed. Several post's on this matter. I ended up using some electrical cleaner in the ignition switch plus changed out key. Fuel bars reappeared and have worked since then. Worth a try.

When you do get it working the fuel gauges are somewhat un reliable... mine reads empty n fuel light on at around half a tank... best to go by miles ridden...I usually fill up around 150 miles.

I replaced my sender unit (float thing in tank) and now have a very accurate fuel gauge. Fuel light comes on when down to a little under a gallon in tank. Stock sender unit was way off. About the same as yours around half a tank the light would come on. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have you ridden it since you tightened the battery post? It usually takes a few miles before it'll read and show how much fuel it actually has.

I haven't ridden since the battery post tightening. In fact, I'm wondering if that may have somehow been responsible for the weird stalling I encountered as well (negative post was loose).

I haven't ridden since the battery post tightening. In fact, I'm wondering if that may have somehow been responsible for the weird stalling I encountered as well (negative post was loose).
Very good possibility. That could kill the motor, and reset the fuel gauge.

Like Steel said, it takes a few minutes of running, for the fuel gauge to start acting right. Same as it takes a few feet to turn off the ABS light.

Back